WnSoft Forums

Windows 11 and PTE compatibility

tom95521

Looks interesting. Free update later this year. Android software in Microsoft Store. Store 0% fee if you use your own commerce engine.  Apple might have to rethink their software restrictions. Maybe PTE will be in the Microsoft Store.:)

Tom

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/24/22546791/microsoft-windows-11-announcement-features-updates

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11

Hi Tom

I replied to another thread where you mentioned W11 but you may not have seen it? From what I read, W11 was put together by MS developers working from home due to Covid restrictions. With all the problems we've had in the past with new windows versions, I would be very wary installing W11.

Cheers Rosy.

Apple has also been developing their software from home. I will probably jump on Windows 11 when available later this year (after Igor tests PTE compatibility).  So far I have not be bitten too bad. I am interested in Android compatibility and Windows ARM support.

Tom

Microsoft revealed a list of supported CPUs for Windows 11. Read about Intel and AMD CPUs.

They dropped support of many CPU, including recent AMD Ryzen (1st gen) and Intel 7th-generation. My desktop PC at our office which we purchased 4 years ago on Intel CPU Kaby Lake (Core i5-7400, announced in 2017 year) is NOT compatible with Windows 11. It sounds as a nightmare.

Also all computers should include TPM (Trusted Platform Module). My recent desktop PC only has a connection for this TPM, you have to find this TPM, purchase (30-60 USD) and install it.

Our another laptop - Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro purchased in 2015 doesn't include any TPM and is NOT compatible with Windows 11.

Even Apple added support for Macbook Pro 2015 in the new macOS 12 Monterey whereas Microsoft dropped support for CPU introduced in 2017 year. So it would be interesting to see how many installations will get Windows 11.

It appears that Microsoft (Windows) has joined forces with computer manufacturers to force upgrades. I have a 2nd gen Ryzen 7 2700x. I think Windows 10 is supported until 2025 so will not have to upgrade right away.  If I buy a new computer I can help test PTE compatibility in Win 11 or I might switch to Apple completely.

Tom

*I could buy a TPM 2 module for my MSI motherboard for about $50 USD. I understand encryption is important and ransomware is getting out of control. Apple's version of TPM is named T2 and is integrated into the Apple M1 silicon.

I am running Win 11 Home now. I am a Windows Insider and this morning I was prompted to reboot my PC for software updates.  After updates I first noticed the ribbon wallpaper at login.  I guess I will have to buy the option TPM module for my motherboard before Windows 11 final is released.

My initial testing of PTE seems to indicate everything is working normally.

Tom

Win11_Home.png

• tom95521 changed the title to Windows 11 and PTE compatibility

Tom,

Thanks for testing PTE AV Studio on Windows 11.

Recent motherboards for AMD and Intel CPUs can emulate TPM 2.0, so you don't need to buy a special TPM 2.0 module (which probably gives better protection). This option can be activated in UEFI (BIOS) screen before loading Windows.

Hi There

I purchased about a year ago a new MSI computer . I went on YouTube and found a test to see if my computer was going to be compatible with the upcoming Windows 11 and was very pleased to find it was . If you want this test program go to You Tube and do a search for the site " Windows, computers and Technology " This site is run by a Canadian who gives out very useful information on Windows in this site you will find a lot of useful information and its always up to date including Windows 11 , in one of the Window 11 items you will find a link to where you can download a program to test if your computer is OK to run Windows 11 . I have been visiting this site for a long time and have found it 100% in the help it gives .

Michael

Hi Michael,

My MSI motherboard with Ryzen 2700x is about 2 1/2 years old. I recently updated the BIOS firmware. I was able to turn on TPM 2 in the firmware and  also UEFI/Secure Boot.  Everything appears to be working. I think it was working without TPM before I enabled it because the operating system is a Windows Preview where TPM 2 is not enforced.

To check TPM status in Windows 11 you can type Win+R and enter tpm.msc and it will tell you if it's enabled.

The YT channel you mentioned is a good source of information.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Theofficialwindows8/videos

Thanks,
Tom

Win11_TPM2.png

Running my main PC on Windows 11 for a few days now with no problems. It seems very stable. PTE has been very reliable as usual and all my other apps have been compatible.  I did run WhyNotWin11 to verify I met all the requirements (after OS is out of beta). 

Tom

WhyNotWin11.png

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone is testing Windows 11 in the dev channel you might want to consider switching to the beta channel. I have had zero problems with Windows 11 dev channel but I switched to beta so I don't have to do a clean install in the future. PTE runs great on Windows 11.

Tom