WnSoft Forums

Audacity 3 privacy concerns

tom95521

• tom95521 changed the title to Audacity 3 privacy concerns

Hi Tom

That's an interesting subject. I followed your links & read what was going on.

I've used Audacity since 2007 & can't live without it, so to speak. My current version is 2.4.2 so you can guess how long it is since I actually went onto the Audacity site or forum. Reading between the lines, IMO Audacity are just following the recent legislation that has appeared whereby companies have to advise a user of their data collection policy & usually give you the option of what you allow them to collect. I'm quite happy with 2.4.2 & have no intention of upgrading in the near future. The amout of work I'm producing now is a fraction of what I've done in the past.

I also believe that many companies who sell sound editing software would like to see Audacity disappear, as you know it's free & I for one wouldn't dream of buying sound editing software while Audacity is freely available.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention:o

Cheers Rosy.

Hi Rosy,

I'm not a heavy user of audacity but I like to keep my software updated. I have been testing another free audio editor. It's Ocenaudio (Win/Mac/Linux) and so far I really like the simple interface and export options. It also works great to extract audio from video files. Installed as a portable app during testing.

There is a new fork of audacity that I will be monitoring. I think it's still too early to determine if this will be the one to replace the old audacity. So far no binary builds from this fork as far as I can tell.
https://github.com/temporary-audacity/audacity#readme

Tom

Hi Tom

Just read your link, sounds like a cyber version of the Godfather. I've been using the version I have for at least 2 years & very unlikely I would want to upgrade so I think I'm probably safe from door knockers:o

Cheers Rosy