WnSoft Forums

Windows 11 release date October 5

tom95521

I have been testing Windows 11 for the last month or so and all my apps including PTE work great. To be honest I really have not noticed that much of a difference in Windows 10 and 11 besides the start menu. I guess that is what they call a seamless upgrade. My primary reason to upgrade is to receive security updates beyond October 2025.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2021/08/31/windows-11-available-on-october-5/

Tom

Thanks, Tom!

I think that Windows 11 will became a significant milestone, because it's first Windows for ARM CPUs with an emulation of Intel/AMD code including old 32-bit and 64-bit apps. We should see coming of laptops with ARM chips and Windows which work longer from battery.

We have a good example from Apple, where a transit from Intel CPU to ARM chip (M1) went very well.

The only problem of Windows 11 are unreasonably high CPU requirements for existing PCs - AMD Ryzen 2 or newer, and Intel 8-gen which were manufactured about 2017-2018 or later. This will delay deploying of Windows 11.

I was lucky my 3 year old AMD Ryzen 2700x computer met the requirements. It will be 7 years old when Windows 10 no longer provides updates. I can imagine my computer lasting 10+ years. Desktop computers seem to last longer than laptops, due to easily upgraded parts and no battery to replace. My Mac mini M1 is not internally upgradeable, but it will probably last at least 5 years.  Intel has stiff competition from AMD, ARM, and now Apple with the custom SOC. The new higher density 5nm and soon 3nm devices will really be interesting.

Tom