WnSoft Forums

20 TB Hard Drives and Higher

tom95521

https://hothardware.com/news/western-digital-optinand-boost-hdd-performance-20tb

My first hard drive was purchased in the mid 1980s. I think it cost about $500 US which is probably equal to about $1K now. With this new technology it is possible to scale up to 50 TB.

Tom

Hi Tom, saw that & thought HMMMMMMMMMM! sounds good? Then I thought, do I want 50TB on one drive? I have 3 separate drives, one bought back in 2007 which is full, one bought in 2012 which is as full as I'd want it to be, & one bought 2018 which is about 10% full. The thought of losing 50TB with one failure:o. I think this is a case of 3 birds in the hand is better than one in the bush.

Cheers Rosy.

My little 20 MB MFM hard drive back in the 80s was so big I thought I would never fill it up. My first floppy disk was 100K and then 360K, 720K and finally 1.4MB before the end of removable disk drives.

Some of the bitcoin miners use disk storage instead of graphic cards for mining. You have to be careful buying a used graphics card, SSD, or HD because of mining.

My largest hard drive is currently only 4TB but I want to get a new NAS with 8TB+ capacity for backsups and recording OTA news, sports, etc. With RAID and newer file systems like ZFS it's less of a problem with disk failure.

Data Centers use SAN with thousands of hard drives (and SSDs) and fiber optic or very fast ethernet connections.

Tom