WnSoft Forums

Flash Player

rosy

It's a long time since I heard that mentioned! Last night I visited a web site that had a number of video & still images that could be viewed. When I tried to view one, I got the "you need flash player to view these". I remember in the dim & distant past there was lots of controversy about FP, some said you should have it others said you shouldn't, I looked in control panel & couldn't see it, what does the fprum think, should I have it?

Rosy

Sorry guys & girls, I should have checked before asking, See - Just in case you hadn’t heard, Flash has officially been retired. Flash has security problems and doesn’t run on mobile platforms like iPhone, iPad, and Android. Modern websites have replaced Flash with modern web standards. In fact, Flash is the last browser plug-in to vanish, following in the footsteps of Oracle Java, Microsoft Silverlight, Adobe Shockwave, Apple QuickTime, and others. Official support for Flash ended on December 31, 2020. Adobe has removed download links for Flash from its website and will not be updating Flash with any security updates. Adobe has even included a kill switch for Flash content. Starting January 12, 2021, recent versions of the Adobe Flash plug-in will refuse to run Flash content.  While Adobe does all that it can to block Flash content from ever running again on the web, there are still some workarounds. 

Another case of "Engage brain before putting mouth / pen / finger into gear. :ph34r:

Rosy

Hi Rosy,

Speaking of technology changing... I remember when PCs had RS-232 serial ports for modems, Parallel ports for printers, Firewire and SCSI ports for DVDs and scanners.  Now all you need is USB3 for most input/output devices. All the processors that I have played with over the years that seemed fast, but now a basic smartphone is faster.

The internet has really changed the world (not all good). Educational or divisive depending how you use it. Not many people write letters or even print photos now. I can't remember the last time I sat down to read a real newspaper. Even shopping has changed so much.  For us almost everything except food, medicine, and building supplies is purchased online.  Book store, what's that?

Tom 

Hi Tom

Not sure if the Sinclair Spectrum preceeds yours, but that was my first foray into computers. Newspapers we get a weekly freeby, The Champion with local news, I read it this evening, took about 10 mins, mostly car adds. Food we get ours delivered from Tesco's every Thursday, costs £10 a month for the service & we can choose an hourly slot, our prescription we order online & collect monthly from the chemists. Books the local mobile library visits once a month & we can pre order what we want, that's free. My ink ran out on Friday on my Canon printer, as it costs more for cartridges so I had bought an HP Deskjet 4 months ago when the Canon said it was running out of ink. Unpacked it, took me an hour to fathom how to fit the cartridges, had to resort to Youtube, finally got them fitted but the document I was trying to print kept telling me I needed to connect a printer. In the end I ordered some Canon cartridges from Amazon, will be here Monday. The HP I disconnected, may try it again later. Started to compose a letter in Apache Open Office Org the realised I could send it by the company I was going to send it to , their reply wizard, even added pics.

Life gets very complicated.:wacko: Last Night at The Proms is on TV which we traditionally watch every year "Rule Britannia"

Cheers Rosy

Streaming video... It's been over 5 years last visiting a movie theater. My wife loves to bake so waiting for 9/24 to watch the new season of The Great British Baking Show on Netflix.

Our HP home office b&w LaserJet printer/scanner has been very reliable. I purchase non HP toner cartridges from Amazon that are 1/2 the price of HP that work perfectly. If I need a nice color print I upload to Costco and pickup the next day.

Tom

The last time we went to the cinema was when we were on holiday in Herefordshire couple of years ago to see Elton John's "Rocket Man". I wear 2 hearing aids had to take them out during the film felt like my head was going to explode. Got back to the car minus 1 hearing aid, an expensive night out. Great film though.

Cheers Rosy.