WnSoft Forums

Loudness

denisb

Hi,

I would like to have a possibility to change the global volume of the slideshow in "project options" "audio".

You can change easily the loudness of each audio file to mix the tracks, but I want to have the same loudness for all my slideshows and it's not easy actually.

Denis

Igor,

adjust between 100% to 0 would be a progress but I prefer the possibility to adjust global sound volume even higher than 100% like the actual volume of audio files.

The slider is from 0 to 100% but you can type 200% for example.

Denis

What would be more useful would be VU meters so we can 'see' the volume of each track & the overall volume.
Increasing volume abovve 100% can often lead to 'clipping' and distortion so is not advised.

Also it would be very useful to quickly 'Mute' or 'Solo' each track to check the volume.

I will often open another audio editor to be able to see the VU meters whilst playing the sound in PTE, just so I can check the levels.

For digital sound you need it to be around -3db to avoid distortion and clipping.
Peaks can go up to -1db but should never reach zero.

Jill

Here is an example of an audio mixer from a video editor that I sometimes use to trim or join videos before inserting into PTE.

If 100% = 0dB then it would not have a volume increase (gain) option, just reduction in audio level? Volume increase and vu meter would be nice, but it would require additional programming/difficulty.

Thanks,
Tom

AudioLevels.png

Hi,

I want that the audio integrated loudness of my slideshows are -18 dB LUFS and of course true peak max less than -1 dB.

Usually, I lower the main music track and mix with voice and sound effects.

The result could be -21 dB LUFS or -15 dB LUFS. With the constrain of true peak max < -1dB, I must change the global volume (add 3dB or subtract 3dB) so change the global volume. Now two possibilities:

Change all the audio files volume

Export soundtrack to file, modify it in an audio editor and replace all the audio files in the project by this modified soundtrack

I would prefer change the global loudness in PTE.

Denis

PS: a peak off -1 dB could appear with different loudness

I see at least two different requests.

Request 1

Offer a console like the one shown by tom95521 which seems very nice to manage true peak for heach track and also for the main output.

Request 2

Offer a Loudness analyser which displays the dB LUFS for the sound allreadty played on the main output, wich is an integration operation. You need to play a track during several seconds to obtain a correct value.

I currently use these tools under Fairlight from Da Vinci Resolve.

I would put a very high priority in Request 1, and a lower one for request 2.

Peak and Loudness.jpg

The fact is that if you want to manage both true Peak and Loudness, you need to use a tool such as the "Limiter" from Blackmagic, wich includes a Gate, a Compressor and a limiter.

This represents a lot of work for the development team, and I'm not sure than more of 5% of PTE users would take the time to learn how to use correctly all of these tools...

This is why I rate Request 1 as a high priority, and request 2 as a low priority.

Limiter.jpg

Hi, 

Thanks for all opinions and suggestions. We need to think.

Please also keep in mind that PTE AV Studio is mainly designed for enthusiasts, we need to keep a simple interface. We don't want to compete with Adobe or BlackMagic.

• 1 year later...