WnSoft Forums

'Go to slide with name' bug [SOLVED]

Dassa

I have recently upgraded to v10.5 from (7,8,9) and have struck a bug when using the mouse-click - go to slide with name function. I have a slideshow selection program first started way back, which I keep adding buttons/links as projects are completed. In v10.5 I added a new page to this menu program then used the 'go to slide with name' function to access the new page. When testing, this seemed to break the link to the new page and skipped either to the project start or a random slide.

After further testing and hair-pulling, I checked the .pte project file in a text editor and, after much searching, found that the '[slideX] =' was loosing the name of the slide (it was blank) in some cases. By adding the slide name manually, everything fell back into place and worked.

As a secondary effect, when I struck this problem the program added all of my project graphic files to the end of the slide timeline ?? I was able to remove these seemingly without any impact on the project.

I created a new project with only 5 slides, set button links and 'looped' selected slides to test thie issue (avoiding any problems caused by my earlier version menu program), and produced exactly the same result using the 'go to slide with name' option.

After checking the forum, I found the same or similar issue back in 2017. Is this a current know issue ? Is it going to be addressed ? Is there a workaround ?

As I modify and add to my menu program/exe all the time, this is a major issue for me.

Darryll

• Dassa changed the title to 'Go to slide with name' bug

Hi Jill,

Proberly is fixed - this is several slides all with unique names so I do not think this is the same. Plus in testing I have targeted various slides (and names) with the same effect. I did locate a forum post that touched on an issue if the file name was 'Blank' but this is a different situation. 

Its not hard to reproduce the error, I have done it with several differently named files and each time after using ' go to slide with name', the .pte [slideX] is made equal to blank (no name) causing navigation issues.

Hi wideangle,

Slide names are all clean, no weird characters eg. TimeLineBase2, MenuTitle1. Also after the loss of value for [slideX], manually entering the slide name (as my examples) fixes the project navigation issues.

Darryll 

Igor

Sample project attached. This is a new project, added slides, set 'Loop This Slide' for last two slides, added button icon/image to MapPage then set 'Action on mouse-click' to 'Go to slide with name' and select slide IMG_6319. Run project which will move to MapPage and loop. Click on buttom icon to move to slide IMG_6319 and project will jump to first slide and run again. 

Other notes:

adding additional slides and button links will cause same problem 

looking at the .pte file shows that [slide3] entry is blank (empty) - this is the target slide for the 'Go to named slide' option

using a slide name as plain text (eg. TimeLine) rather than the IMG_ format causes the same result

Darryll

GoToExample_Oct7-2021_10-14-11.zip

I have tried this with your file & agree that when you click on the button it goes to the start of the show.
I change the name of the slide from IMG_6319 to startshow & it works fine

So the problem could be the underscore in the name.
Make sure you change the Name in Slide Options

I see you are using PTE V10.0 I am using 10.5  but that shouldn't make any difference

Question? Why are you looping the slides?

If you wish the slide to stay on screen until you are ready to move on, then set the slide options to wait for key press.

The slide will stay on screen until you press the right arrow key then it will move to the next slide.
No need for a button & Go To

Jill

Hi Jill

As I pointed out in my original post, slide names were all plain text so using IMG_6319 (for the example project only) has no relevance (as the original problem project was using 'Timeline2' and 'Timeline3'). What I believe you are seeing is a correction of the original problem by changing the slide name. My original issue is a problem that only occurs with the initial adding of a new slide then linking. 

Why am I looping the slide ? Because I have several links/buttons on the master/menu slide that redirect to various slides based on user choice. My menu/master project/program is not linear as are slideshows but I have attempted to use PTE in a more creative way. However, having said that, I am sure there are more than one way to achieve a similar result.

Darryll

I too have created menus with links to other slides, but always use the wait for key press. 

The only time I have used loop is when I have music attached to a slide and I don't know how long that slide will be needed on screen. It could be longer than the music. I have used this to be able to have something playing before the show starts and the audience is coming in.

For all other times I just use wait for key press and it works fine.

If you had a name of timeline, maybe PTE doesn't like that. I now can't remember what the name I had was that caused the problem, but it was something that PTE itself was using.

Jill

Hi Jill

I think the full name for the 'wait for ...' option is 'wait for a key press to show next slide'. 

My need is to not got to the next slide but a slide that maybe 5-10 slides ahead, that's why I use the loop function. If you can duplicate this functionality with the 'wait for ...' option, please let me know. I am always open to new functionality.

Darryll

Daryl, you don't need to loop a slide to make it stay on screen. That is what wait for key press does.

The buttons on your slide can go to any other slide. You would then have a button on the other slides to come back to your main slide.

These do not have to be visible. Use a frame on a portion of the screen, say bottom left that you know where it is and add the action on mouse click to it.

If any of these other slides also need to stay on screen longer than their set time, then set these to wait for key press. 

You can build quite complex menus in this way should you need to.

The other easier option is to have each of your shows as separate exe or MP4 files and call them from a main menu exe.

Jill

On 07/10/2021 at 03:45, jkb said:

J'ai essayé cela avec votre fichier et j'accepte que lorsque vous cliquez sur le bouton, il passe au début de l'émission.
Je change le nom de la diapositive de IMG_6319 en startshow et cela fonctionne bien

Le problème pourrait donc être le trait de soulignement dans le nom.
Assurez-vous de changer le nom dans les options de diapositive

Je vois que vous utilisez PTE V10.0 J'utilise 10.5 mais cela ne devrait faire aucune différence

Question? Pourquoi bouclez-vous les diapositives ?

Si vous souhaitez que la diapositive reste à l'écran jusqu'à ce que vous soyez prêt à continuer, définissez les options de diapositive pour attendre que la touche soit enfoncée.

La diapositive restera à l'écran jusqu'à ce que vous appuyiez sur la touche fléchée droite, puis elle passera à la diapositive suivante.
Pas besoin de bouton & Go To

Jill

c'est quoi   startshow ?  cela veut dire quoi bouclez vous les diapositives ?

On 10/7/2021 at 2:36 AM, Dassa said:

Igor

Sample project attached. This is a new project, added slides, set 'Loop This Slide' for last two slides, added button icon/image to MapPage then set 'Action on mouse-click' to 'Go to slide with name' and select slide IMG_6319. Run project which will move to MapPage and loop. Click on buttom icon to move to slide IMG_6319 and project will jump to first slide and run again. 

Other notes:

adding additional slides and button links will cause same problem 

looking at the .pte file shows that [slide3] entry is blank (empty) - this is the target slide for the 'Go to named slide' option

using a slide name as plain text (eg. TimeLine) rather than the IMG_ format causes the same result

Darryll

GoToExample_Oct7-2021_10-14-11.zip 1.68 MB · 9 downloads

Darryll,

We fixed this problem. Please try the new version 10.5.5 Beta:

https://files.wnsoft.com/test/pteavstudio-setup.exe

• Igor changed the title to 'Go to slide with name' bug [SOLVED]