WnSoft Forums

Factors to consider for max quality PTE slideshow

dbolt

When faced with an invitation to present a slideshow, what information about the equipment that will display my images should I ask about to ensure my show looks its best.  I know they have a large overhead digital projector and a recently purchased PC to drive the projector.  The screen is probably 20 ft wide.  What factors should I ask about?  For example, what is pixel dimension of the PC display and will the projector display 1080p or 2K.  Are there any other relevant questions to pose?

I would try to do a trial run using their equipment, that should show up any anomalies of compatabily to your shows. Would you be showing exe files or MP4's or something else. What would you use to transfer your shows to their equipment, DVD's Memory sticks etc.? The people inviting you to do a presentation may not be aware there could be incompatabilities. 

Good luck Rosy

P2E can make either an exe or MP4 file. Does one provide better images than the other? I plan to use a thumb drive to transport the slideshow. Once at the location, I plan to transfer the file to the PC's HD if their security allows. If not, I'll run from the thumb drive. The file size of original images is sufficient to create a 2K show, but if the max resolution of the PC is 1200 x 720, am I gaining any image quality if P2E creates images with more pixels?

you really need to know the resolution of the projector & make your images that size.
Also try to make sure that the projector & computer resolution match

You also need a computer with good graphics

PTE does a great job of upsizing, but I find if it has to downsize large images they can look a bit oversharpened.

We often project onto a very large 26 foot wide screen.
I think the projector that is used is full HD 1920x1080
But I have shown exe files made at 1024x768 and they still look great when filling the screen.

Both exe & MP4 play equally well, but make sure that the program used to play MP4's is set up correctly to display them fullscreen without any of the interface showing.

Depending on the operating system & any anti virus installed you may be better off with MP4.
exe files can sometimes be rejected by antivirus.

You really are better with your own laptop that you know will play your shows well if at all possible.
Relying on unknown equipment can only cause problems.

Also check the sound system to mkae sure your shows can be heard at their best as well as seen.
If they only have the laptop speakers or tiny little speakers it is never going to sound like you intend.

Ideally get there in plenty of time to test everything out before the audience start arriving.
There is nothing worse than still trying to set up with the audience already waiting.

Jill

Dbolt. You have to be practical and most of what we would like to be able to do, may not be possible or practical. 

If it were me, I’d make my presentation as an Mp4 video - 1920*1080 pixels at 60p. I’d also create an EXE as a backup and I’d take two USB sticks, with the same content on both. Just in case one USB chose that time to throw a wobbly. Not likely, but better safe than sorry.

Copy the content to the computer and run it from there as a preference.

You don’t say if the venue is a Camera Club, but if it is, any club that does not have the equipment to play that Mp4 should be drummed out of the Brownies.

Rosie. I copied and pasted it from word and perhaps its taken the formatting. See if this is better

Dbolt. You have to be practical and most of what we would like to be able to do, may not be possible or practical. 

If it were me, I’d make my presentation as an Mp4 video - 1920*1080 pixels at 60p. I’d also create an EXE as a backup and I’d take two USB sticks, with the same content on both. Just in case one USB chose that time to throw a wobbly. Not likely, but better safe than sorry.

You don’t say if the venue is a Camera Club, but if it is, any club that does not have the equipment to play that Mp4 should be drummed out of the Brownies.

3 hours ago, Barry Beckham said:

Rosie. I copied and pasted it from word and perhaps its taken the formatting. See if this is better

Hi Barry, that text is fine.

Rosy.

16 hours ago, jkb said:

you really need to know the resolution of the projector & make your images that size.
Also try to make sure that the projector & computer resolution match

You also need a computer with good graphics

PTE does a great job of upsizing, but I find if it has to downsize large images they can look a bit oversharpened.

We often project onto a very large 26 foot wide screen.
I think the projector that is used is full HD 1920x1080
But I have shown exe files made at 1024x768 and they still look great when filling the screen.

Both exe & MP4 play equally well, but make sure that the program used to play MP4's is set up correctly to display them fullscreen without any of the interface showing.

Depending on the operating system & any anti virus installed you may be better off with MP4.
exe files can sometimes be rejected by antivirus.

You really are better with your own laptop that you know will play your shows well if at all possible.
Relying on unknown equipment can only cause problems.

Also check the sound system to mkae sure your shows can be heard at their best as well as seen.
If they only have the laptop speakers or tiny little speakers it is never going to sound like you intend.

Ideally get there in plenty of time to test everything out before the audience start arriving.
There is nothing worse than still trying to set up with the audience already waiting.

Jill

Jill,

thanks for your excellent advise - much appreciated. I have learned a bit more about the equipment since my original post.  I will be able to copy .mp4 files to the desktop of the PC, so that is a good thing.  The PC display resolution is 1024 x 768, and i think the projector is 1200 x 720.  Not what I expected, but doable.

doug

15 hours ago, Barry Beckham said:

Barry,

Thanks for taking the time to share your expertise.  Although the equipment does not appear to support 1080p, I plan to create 1080p files at both .exe and .mp4. 

doug

43 minutes ago, dbolt said:

The PC display resolution is 1024 x 768, and i think the projector is 1200 x 720

this is a very low resolution these days.
Your images won't look as good as they could do, but if the audience are used to those standards then they will no doubt not notice!

Good luck with the show

Jill