WnSoft Forums

Jewels of the Gold Coast

Barry Beckham

I spent a lot of time searching for royalty free music for these images and none had the impact I was looking for. No offence to Eric Matyas and others, but I couldn’t find anything that I thought worked well.  My YouTube Chanel has recently been monetised, so within seconds of posting anything with copyright music, it’s flagged and your informed by email.

However, what they do, as long as I’ve got this right, is to divert any revenue created to the music creator and the video can remain posted. I have no issues with that at all.  In fact it a good way to deal with copyright issues in my view. If no money is being made, where’s the problem and if money is being made (albeit a tiny amount) the technology now allows that to be identified and diverted to the creator. 

Greetings Barry,

Impressive architecture and show, indeed.

Your comment about getting flagged with copyright music caught my attention. I have to be careful, too. My Facebook and YouTube channel are not monetized but I have to be careful to not get flagged. Where do you find the way to divert money to the creator and still use their music? Is this possible if your site is not monetized? I have received a couple flags in the past but have not seen this possibility you mentioned. (Some times it just says it can't be played in certain countries).

Gary

Gary

When a video is uploaded to a monetised YouTube account,  one of the first pages your taken to is where you can select if that particular video is monetised or not. Even if you selected to monetise that video, it would be flagged straight away and you will receive an email something like this below

A copyright owner using Content ID has claimed some material in your video.

Your video is live and the visibility settings you selected remain applied to it. But it is now either being monetized by the copyright owner, or they have chosen to receive analytics about it.

This is not a copyright strike. This claim does not affect your account status.

• Video title: Canon R5 + Jewels of the Gold Coast
  • Copyrighted content: Welcome To The Machine
  • Claimed by: Pink Floyd

Next steps

• If there are no problems, you don’t need to take any action and you don’t need to delete your video.
  • If something went wrong and the copyright owner or our system made a mistake, we have a dispute process. Only use it if you’re confident you have the rights to use all the content in your video. Learn more
  • You can also remove the claimed content using Studio's editing tools.

In the next steps section above,  I’ve taken the first option to mean that if I’m happy for the monetisation to go to the music creator, then the video can remain posted. The monetisation isn’t important to me and under the circumstances it’s hard to argue that any money generated by the song shouldn’t go to the creator.  When you think about this issue and see the amount of copyright material that is posted on YouTube, this seems to me to be a fair way and probably the only way to deal with it.

Assuming I’ve drawn the correct conclusions and by this time next week I’m not in Jail….

Barry, I think I remember getting similar notices. Sometimes, they just say it can not be played in certain countries, so that is fine with me. Maybe a couple times, it was a flat refusal to let me use the music clip, even though I got it off the YouTube Audio Library. :huh:

Getting the right music for the show is probably one of the hardest parts to set the feeling of the show...

Thanks... Gary

Gary

I agree that finding the right music is vital. I almost gave up on the 3 Jewels, because I spent a lot of time going through YoTube copywriter free music. There were tracks I could have used, but they just didn’t have that special something. That thing that we find hard to describe, but we know it when we hear it, or see it as the case may be.

I too had YouTube music flagged recently, which is a bit confusing when you consider that I got it from their own copyright music section. However, from my days working with Medwyn Goodall music, I’m aware of how copyright floats from composer, to recording label, back to the composer over time.

It wasn’t until I started using that Pink Floyd track that the idea of that opening and closing technique came to me. It does indicate how finding the first music is so important. Well, perhaps technology has found the most equitable way for us to use music.

I've had lots of flags from YouTube but I'm not on their monetised list.  Invariably the flags are for certain countries usuall headed by the USA. If there is one partiularly commercial track I must have, I have mixed it using Audacity with a selection of non copyright clips from various sources, including Eric Matayas Kevin Macleod & lots of others that are out there.  Sometimes I'm lucky & YT don't spot it, if they do & it's a selective flag, I ignore it.

The worst thing I've had recently is where YT have restricted a number of my shows to viewing by over 18 year olds. Two in particular were based on  Wilfred Owen the WW1 war poet.  YT mustn't want under 18 year olds to know what happened to their Grandparents. I did protest but it didn't do me any good. Vimeo is less restrictive, but I haven't found a way of live streaming it to my TV yet, there are guides on YT of HOW TO, but they are above my knowledge base.

Rosy.