WnSoft Forums

Export using H265

Hello,

Using the search tool, I tried to look for h265 or h.265 in the forum but with no results.

However, I came across some topics talking about the h265 codec.

Reading those topics, I noticed that H265 videos can be imported in PTE. I confirm after a little test.

I read about the risk of incompatibility using h265 on some hardware.

But 4K TVs support H265. The same for recent 4K media players. So, exporting using H265 would be a nice addition to the export options. And it would save disk space.

Is there a question of license price? It seems there is an open-source version https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_for_Open_Media . But I’m not an expert of these matters.

I think the fear of legal issues and license fees have stopped some developers from using H.265 in their commercial products. Movavi removed it from their video editor.

https://www.movavi.io/what-is-h265-en/

What I don't understand is when a GPU like Nvidia supports H.265 encoding that they should be the ones liable for the license fee? Just give us the GPU encoding option?

My long term hope is open source AV1 will be widely adopted.

Tom

Tom, you're right.

With H.264 format we use the most optimal settings, especially in PTE AV Studio 10.0+
H.264 is very flexible codec and has many hidden options to reach smaller file size with the same quality.

Encoding to HEVC format works in 3 times slower, video playback on relatively old graphics card utilizes 70..100% of CPU that causes a high power consumption and noise from the cooling fan.

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I wanted to share again some points about H265:

• It was created as more efficient the H264 as far as visual quality is concerned. More details for the same file size.

• H265 is more a codec for the future. 4K devices not supporting it must be somewhat old.

• There is no license problem: Free Fastflix based on ffmpeg can create H265 files.

• I understand coding time is longer but, eventually, the point is to be able to have the choice :D