WnSoft Forums

Yacht America

Alex55

Great slideshow. So many skilled trades like wood shipbuilding are almost forgotten.  It's amazing what they created using only human powered tools. I had fun learning how to sail a boat when I was a teenager in a small El Toro.

https://www.mooresailboats.com/el-toro

Thanks,
Tom

9 hours ago, Alex55 said:

Yes Rosy, you might right. Looks like I've got used to that.

Thanks for letting me know

Hi Again Alex. We did acheive our dream. After owning 3 yachts we sold up & bought a 40 ft yacht in Corsica & for the next 3 years, sailed around the Med. Now, we've swallowed the anchor so to speak & settled for watching other liveaboards in various parts of the world on YouTube. One particular series might interest you is about a young Englishman re-building from the keel up a 100+ year old yacht called "Tally Ho" in America. Him & his team have reached the stage of fitting the bulkheads & mast step. this is after around 3 years of the hardest graft you'll ever see, to anyone interested in yacht building, it's a must. This link should take you to the the latest episode "Tally Ho"

Happy sailing Rosy.

Rosy

I’ve watched every episode of the re-building to Tally Ho. It got me through some difficult times this year and last and I was even prompted to donate to the guys cause. It really is a great series and what a talent for a young guy to have. Nothing seems to phase him at all.

1 hour ago, Barry Beckham said:

Rosy

I’ve watched every episode of the re-building to Tally Ho. It got me through some difficult times this year and last and I was even prompted to donate to the guys cause. It really is a great series and what a talent for a young guy to have. Nothing seems to phase him at all.

Hi Barry

Yes we made a donation some time ago. Some of the characters helping with the rebuild really go to make the show. the parrot & the dog & the guy with only one leg really stand out for me. Along with the ancient wood working machinery, they really have struggled to get it done. We regularly watch the sailing shows, in particular, the Old Seadog, Sophisticated Lady. Nutshell, La Vagabonde to name but a few.

Cheers Rosy.

Yes, these types of YouTube channels are now my mainstay entertainment. I haven’t sat in our TV room for months and even cancelled my satellite TV account. I prefer these real world YouTube videos that those super slick TV ones of old. Narrow boating in the UK, Remote bush walking in Australia and others. All great entertainment, made by ordinary folk.

Thanks again, Rosy

I'm jealous, because all my achievement is just a 36' houseboat on California Delta.

Yes, I know there's some interesting projects going on You Tube.

But I manly spend my time on shipmodelling pages.

Best

Alex

Hello Mur

I have a couple more issues to iron out. I’m having a Cataract in my left eye done on the 12th November and I’ll have the right eye Cataract done as soon as possible after that.  It’s a bit of a shock when you live for 71.5 years with hardly a scratch and then the health issues all kick off together.

Oh the Joys eh?

Hi Barry

I had both my eyes with a short gap between both done then a few months later had laser on both eyes . The first thing I noticed was how I saw colours it has been brilliant , I had a new pair of glasses this was three years ago and for each year after that I have had a fresh eye test and not needed a new pair which on its own speaks our well the surgery went for me .

Michael

Michael

I’ve already had surgery for a Macular Hole which formed in my left eye in May. It’s an age thing, where you lose vision clarity in the centre of your eye. It could have been devastating. They did a remarkable job on that, but the recovery was very difficult. A gas is placed in the eye to hold things in place and for 45 minutes of every waking hour for 5 days…………You have to be face down as though you’re looking towards the centre of the earth.

The Cataracts are not big issues compared to that, so I’m looking forward to getting them done and hopefully moving on. In the meantime, thank goodness for autofocus :-)