WnSoft Forums

Time lag [SOLVED]

Jean-Cyprien

Hi,

Time lag problem.

The problem is delicate because the defect appears with some PCs but not with others. So, first, there may be a PC configuration problem.
This defect appeared in the first version of PTE10.5 (PTE AV Studio 10.5.0). It did not exist with PTE AV Studio 10.0 (10.0.14) or with previous versions.

The sound is notably delayed (of the order of a second),when :
- playing an executable file or a pteav file,
- working in PTE in preview, or in the miniplayer, and even in the O&A window
but only when one starts these playings, workings, the time lag continuing until the end.

If you do a pause, the sound resynchronizes correctly, and so the problem disappears until you close PTE or end the playback. But it reappears if you open PTE or play the slideshow again. However it seems that if we start again immediately, the time lag is less (memory effect ?), but not zero.

I attach a test project. Thanks in advance.

Jean-Cyprien

Tintinnabule_Nov9-2021_14-18-19.zip

Hi Jean-Cyprien,

I checked on 3 Windows PCs and one Mac with M1 chip using PTE AV Studio 10.5.5 Pro.

Audio synchronization is perfect in your project when I play a full screen preview, EXE, or Mini Player, or a preview in the Objects and animation editor. No problems. I didn't rewind or pause the show/preview. We'll check on two other computers later.

Can you try to replace the OGG audio file to MP3 using Audacity converter?

And also convert this OGG to M4A audio format and check a synchronization.

We use built-in MP3 decoder and FFmpeg to decode OGG and M4A audio files.

Also let me know, does the computer where this delay occur contain SSD drive or HDD? For system and for user files. All my checked computers have SSD drives for system and for PTE projects.

P.S. Can other members try this project?

Jean-Cyprien,

Can you check audio output settings on that PC for sound card in Control Panel of Windows - 48 Khz or 44.1 KHz, 16 bit or 24 bit?

1 hour ago, jt49 said:

No problem on my rather old computer (V10.5.5 on Windows 10, updated)

Thanks

Hi Igor,

I have tried everything, with
- the five files in mp3 (converted by Audacity)
- the soundtrack (the five ogg files) converted by PTE into one file mp3
- this above PTE mp3 file converted into a M4A file (by the way, what do you mean by "and check a synchronization".)

with antivirus and firewall disabled .

The system is using a SSD, my files are using a HDD. If I put the files on SDD it's the same problem

The audio output settings on that PC for sound card (Realtc version 1 sept 2020) are 24 bits 48 kHz. Same problem with the option 16 bits 48 kHz

Attached a video of the problem. After a pause the synchronisation is correct. After a second longer pause (for ex. 30s) the problem reappears !

Jean-Cyprien,

Thanks,

Interesting problem. Probably it's related with incorrect work of audio device (drivers).

1. Try to create a MP4 video. Will it contain a correct synchronization?

2. Do you observe any audio synchronization issue when you watch a movie in a video player app, a video clip in PTE preview, and video on YouTube? Find a point where you can see a face of a speaker and hear his voice.

3. Also try the attached test project to check audio synchronization. I use this test for last 15 years to check every new PTE version for audio synchronization.

SyncTest.zip

Hi Igor,

It will be daylight tomorrow, there is no rush !

Answer 1. All is OK with mp4

Answer 3. Not correct with PTE 10.5 Correct after a pause ( but perfect with PTE 10.0) . See the result in PJ . At the end, you can hear an additionnal Bang !

Answer 2. I'll see tonight

19 hours ago, Igor said:

Hi Jean-Cyprien,

P.S. Can other members try this project?

Hello Igor
on one of my PCs I tested Jean Cyprien's project and from time to time I reproduced the problem.
This PC is equipped with an SSD for the program part and an HDD for the data part.
In my case I saw the problem when reading the .exe but also in the O&A window

Hi Igor,

Sorry for the delay.

"Do you observe any audio synchronization issue when you watch a movie in a video player app,, and video on YouTube?"  No, never

in "a video clip in PTE preview" Yes, always at the first playing

I have two other PC, but not of the same brand, one with Windows 7 the other with Windows 8

No problem with those two PC

Jean-Cyprien

We discovered that a new audio channel is created in time and playback is started, but first audio buffer arrives with a 500 ms delay. Seems to be a bug in audio drivers (maybe Realtek). On our laptop this issue occurs only when I disable Stereo mixer for a microphone in Windows 10 control panel.

Previous PTE versions created a silent audio channel to synchronize the timer with the audio device on PTE launch. In version 10.5 it occurs later on first click of the play button.

We found a solution to avoid this delay. I'll publish a new Beta version when it's ready.

On 11/9/2021 at 5:55 PM, Jean-Cyprien said:

The sound is notably delayed (of the order of a second),when :
- playing an executable file or a pteav file,
- working in PTE in preview, or in the miniplayer, and even in the O&A window
but only when one starts these playings, workings, the time lag continuing until the end.

Hi Jean-Charles,

Please try a new version 10.5.6 Beta:

https://files.wnsoft.com/test/pteavstudio-setup.exe

It should fix this problem with sound lag.

Hi Igor,

YES, it does ! Bravo Igor.

With PTE 5.6  in the prevue, miniplayer, O&A window, all is correct, no sound lag.

Playing a .pteav file made with this new version is OK too.

The use of .pte files made with previous PTE 5 is possible without lag.

Thank again

Jean-Cyprien

Thanks, Jean-Cyprien, Philippe, for the confirmation.

I'm very glad! Our team fixed this problem.

Please check several projects to make sure tha audio clips play correctly in different situations: playback, pause, rewinding and synchronization.

• Igor changed the title to Time lag [SOLVED]