WnSoft Forums

Problem with modifying audio files used on the Time line [CLOSED]

Picsel

Hi,

The problem occurs when an audio file is already on the timeline.

If I need to modify the audio file I search it inside the file list then by a right click I can easily open it within Audacity and make the modification. But if I save the modified audio file under the same file name, PTE AV Studio freezes and I have to close and reopen it ( it must be noticed that when  reopening PTE, I get a blank  "recovered project" without nothing,  I have to reopen the .pte project file, loosing some work, on the project ).

In order to avoid this inconvenience I have to save the modified audio file under a new name, then a right clic on the audio file on the timeline to open "customize audio clip" and to use the command "replace "audio file".

Ok, why not ? but that could be misleading as the way of modifying audio file is very different from other "objects" on the timeline.

I think, in such a case,  it would be much better if the audio file on the timeline was directly replaced by the modified one.

In any case the freeze of PTE AV Studio should be avoided.

Best regards

Daniel

Daniel,

Audio files (and also video clips) of a project are opened and partially loaded by PTE AV Studio. They are ready for instant playback at any moment. Unlike images, PTE AV Studio doesn't load entire file, because a media file can be very large. It's not good idea to replace them outside PTE AV Studio when a project is opened, it will lead to an unexpected behaviour of the opened program. 

You need to use Replace Audio File command (as you wrote), or close PTE AV Studio and then replace files in Explorer or in other editors.

PTE AV Studio loads audio/video files with a soft "read" request and doesn't prohibit writing/replacing of a file for other apps for better compatibility.

Thanks Igor,

I understand your point. May I suggest that an advice could attract the user attention on that point when using the edit file command (audio or video clips) in order to avoid PTE freezing and losing some work (within the help or user guide?).

Daniel

• Igor changed the title to Problem with modifying audio files used on the Time line [CLOSED]