WnSoft Forums

Upscaling images

landsberger

I'm hoping that someone here can suggest an answer to the following:

I have images of the Pinnacles here in Western Australia, unfortunatley quite a few were shot on Olympus 4/3 camera whilst the later ones are from a Canon full frame.

What I want to do is upscale the 4/3 images to the same width as the full frame images so that I can use them in a sequence.

For the life of me I cannot figure out the way to do it, I have looked at and tried some programs but they only offer 76dpi  resolution others only accept images less than 5mb. The Olympus images are about 13mb each whilst the Canon are approv 20mb each.

I'm using Windows so Mac solutions will not help!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

John

Hi Jii 

Thanks fot your reply, what I really want to do is upscale outside PTE because I do not necessarily want to use all the images I have of the Pinnacles

John

3 hours ago, landsberger said:

Hi Jii 

Thanks fot your reply, what I really want to do is upscale outside PTE because I do not necessarily want to use all the images I have of the Pinnacles

John

You only add the images that you are using to PTE and resize them to suit.
No need to do anything outside of PTE

Jill

To all who have made suggestions thank you.

Yes I do have Photoshop 2022, I do appreciate that the upscaling can be done within PTE.

Howerver in addition to the images I mentioned I have serveral thousand more in Olympus 4/3 format which I wold like to convert to the same size as the ones from the Canon full frame.

Regards

John

Could you not set up an “Action” in Photoshop?

Then you would need to crop each image to retain the desired composition/content. 
Do I assume that your PTE show will have the aspect ratio of 3:2 the same as the FF Canon? Then you will lose some image area top, bottom or both of the 4:3 Olympus images. 

John. I can’t see any point in you doing this.

Presumably the  Olympus 4/3 camera will turn in at least 2560 pixels on the long side. The full frame shots will be bigger than 2560 on the long side.

Whether you are intending to make an executable file or an MP4 (recommended) you already have enough pixels to work with. Let’s say your making an MP4 Video. You upscale the 4/3 images and when you publish the MP4 as a HD video, it will downscale them.

Unless I’m missing something, your chasing your tail here.

But why convert??

Just do each one as required when building the AV.
No point in resizing to 3:2 & then finding that you have cut something vital off that is needed to allow the images to flow.

I aways work with full size images to build up an AV.
It is then easy to Zoom, adjust position etc in PTE to make the story & images flow.

Then once I am happy with the order & composition I will resize them all down to match the Project size in Photoshop, saving as a new name.

You need to keep the final exe as small as possible to run smoothly

Jill

Have just discovered yesterday that the latest Adobe 2022 Bridge and Camera Raw no longer provide a preview for the older Olympus Cameras. I just wish that I had never bought Olympus.

What I did ywsterday was to bring the images into Photoshop crop each one individullay and save as .psd but it takes a long time!

Also a lot of the latest Photo editors (for want of a better word) also do not offer support for the older Olympus either.

To Jill

I do use my images for other purposes than making  PTE shows. I do prints on an Epson large format printer and I also enter as projected images in our local camera club.

Also I prefer the look of the 3 x 2 format the 4/3 reminds me too much of old television.

Regards

John

Hi Ian

Managed to download the Olympus Workspace and also got the latest update. A lot of reviews said it was terrible software and slow but as far as I'm concerned its pretty darned good.

Of course Adobe is better with much more ability to tweak. However The Olympus software makes it much easier to sort the Olympus images and preview them.

Thank you very much for letting me know about it.

Regards

John