WnSoft Forums

Problems with buttons again.. [SOLVED]

Dave Brooker

Sorry to bring up the subject again but referring back to "Using Buttons [solved], I have further issues.  I have now updated to PTE AV Studio 10.5.6 on my Mac using Monterey 12.0.1.

I used to use Keynote and ran all my Keynote AV shows from a menu screen (See Screenshot A attached). Keynote no longer supports links to other Keynote files and I am now using PTE AV Studio 10 and wish to replicate a similar Menu screen.  My Camera Club do this and are able to link to other files, PTE and mp4's etc., and run shows.  However they are using Windows on a PC and all seems fine.

When I create a test Menu file and have a button(see Screenshot B attached), I can link to other PTE, mp4's.  When the application finishes, the file stays on the screen and the Menu File has reverted back to its construction view, not full screen ready for the next selection. (see Screenshot C attached).  I would like the screen to return to view B ready for the next selection.  Sometimes the screen hangs and I have to force quit PTE and start again.

In your previous reply you suggested not to select "Run Application or Open File" is this still a problem?

Screenshot A.jpg

Screenshot B.jpg

Screenshot C.jpg

Hi,

We've noticed that in macOS fullscreen mode works different than in Windows. 

For example, open Finder, switch it to a fullscreen mode. And double clik on any document, video file, or application. It switches back to normal window, opens a document or runs an app. When you close launched document/app, you don't see any Finder window. If you click on Finder in the Dock it appears again on a fullscreen. The same for PTE AV Studio, or file managers.

There is a solution for PTE AV Studio shows. Use only Run Slideshow / Run Slideshows and Exit commands. It will guarantee that launched shows and menu will stay in a fullscreen mode all the time.

I cannot reproduce the issue with freezings, sorry.

have you set your Menu slide to wait for keypress?

This will keep the Menu slide on screen until you either Esc or move on using the arrow keys on the keyboard

If not then the Menu will finish before your AV ends

Jill

Hi,

I created a simple menu show and second show. You can run the second show using "Run Slideshow" button or "Run Slideshow and Return" button.

It works fine on my Mac with macOS Monterey. Double click in Finder on MenuShow.pteav file to run it in PTE AV Player. Source projects also included.

Menu and second show stay in fullscreen all the time. The same for executable shows created for Windows.

MenuShow.zip

Thanks Igor,

Downloaded and ran your examples and it worked fine.  So I created a new test menu with three buttons, A,B,C.  With Button A, I selected "Run Slideshow and Return" and it ran my small test .pteav file which closed and left my menu file open as I need, which is great, thank you.  However for Button B, I tried "Run Slideshow" but the .pteav test file closed and the menu file had closed.  With Button C, and "Run Application or Open File" I had the same result as Button B but I also had to quit out of PTE AV Studio before I could reopen the Menu file again.  Anyway, it's great that I can run .pteav files from the settings used in Button A but why will the other options not work as they do in Windows?  Would love to have the option to run .mp4 files as well if possible.  Do you have plans to make the other options available?

"Run Application or Open File" command should open a video file in external video player (QuickTime, VLC, etc).

Consider a windowed mode for a Menu show, instead of fullscreen. Adjust this screen mode in the Project Options > Screen tab. And other shows (projects) in a fullscreen mode. It may solve some issues.

Regrettably we cannot provide exactly the same behaviour of Run Application command as on Windows. Because fullscreen mode in macOS works differently.

Hi Igor,

I have also just tested the menu you sent Dave and found the Run simply ends with the Desktop but the Run & Return reverts back to the menu.

However, I noted in the project file that there is no reference to the file locations. In other words the files can be loaded on another computer. When I tried this with "Run Application or Open File" method and removed the file location leaving the file in the "" the menu could not find the file as there was no file location given. The files were in the same folder as the menu. Is this to be expected on a Mac?

TC

Just another note that the menu I created prior to the beta update I downloaded re Slow Key Frames & Masks will no longer run a menu created in the version used prior to download. Does this mean that any Slide Show created prior to an update will need to be recreated from the project folder before it will run from a menu?

TC

20 hours ago, tc_leeds said:

Does this mean that any Slide Show created prior to an update will need to be recreated from the project folder before it will run from a menu?

If you use "Run Slideshow" or "Run Slideshow and Return" commands, all linked shows should be created in the same version of PTE AV Studio, for example in 10.5.6.

"Run Application..." command works for any version of a created .pteav show (or .exe show).

20 hours ago, tc_leeds said:

However, I noted in the project file that there is no reference to the file locations. In other words the files can be loaded on another computer. When I tried this with "Run Application or Open File" method and removed the file location leaving the file in the "" the menu could not find the file as there was no file location given. The files were in the same folder as the menu. Is this to be expected on a Mac?

Sorry, I'm not sure that rightly understood your question.

You can point just a file name (without a full path) in double quotes and put all linked shows in the same folder. I used it the Menu show attached above. I call Show1 using "Show1.pteav" in a field for "Run Slideshow" command.

On 12/10/2021 at 5:49 PM, Dave Brooker said:

Downloaded and ran your examples and it worked fine.  So I created a new test menu with three buttons, A,B,C.  With Button A, I selected "Run Slideshow and Return" and it ran my small test .pteav file which closed and left my menu file open as I need, which is great, thank you.  However for Button B, I tried "Run Slideshow" but the .pteav test file closed and the menu file had closed.  With Button C, and "Run Application or Open File" I had the same result as Button B but I also had to quit out of PTE AV Studio before I could reopen the Menu file again.  Anyway, it's great that I can run .pteav files from the settings used in Button A but why will the other options not work as they do in Windows?  Would love to have the option to run .mp4 files as well if possible.  Do you have plans to make the other options available?

When you tested "Run Application" command on Mac, did you run a Menu show by double clicking on .pteav show file from Finder? Or by clicking the Preview button in PTE AV Studio?

Big Thank you to TC.  Having tried his method of embedding a mp4 file within a PTE file and then publishing to a Mac (.pteav file), the option of "Run Slideshow and Return" solves the issues as I can of course use a menu file to open any of my files that have been exported as a mp4 from Keynote or PTE. Just a shame that "Run Application or Open File" cannot work on a Mac.

Thanks to all for your help, problem solved...

Hi,

We fixed the problem with using Run Application and Run Slideshow commands on Mac.

Try a new Beta (10.5.7 Build 3):

https://files.wnsoft.com/test/PTE-AV-Studio.dmg

https://files.wnsoft.com/test/PTE-AV-Player.dmg

You need to update PTE AV Studio (for a fullscreen preview) and PTE AV Player to run .pteav shows.

Hi Igor,

I have updated both PTE AV Studio and the PTE Player. The .pteav files run OK and return to the menu. However, the .Mp4 file does not run at all using the "Run Application or open File " setting with no file location. If the file location is included it will run and return to the desktop as previously and not to the Menu. The Video wrap version of the .Mp4 file also runs as it effectively has been converted to a .pteav file.

For me this seems to be there best solution as when running a show from a menu it is always preferable to return to the menu at the end of the show. Thank you for this solution.

Please could I raise another point. In the Windows version it is possible to open up software, for example if a demonstration of PTE AV Studio or Photoshop etc was required during a show this could also be achieved through the menu. I usually added the PTE Logo and selected the required project file and using the same "Run Application...."  could open up PTE with the chosen project file on the screen. I have tried this with the Mac version by selecting software from the "Apps" but this does not result in the software opening. I suspect that this is a feature of the Mac and may not be possible to resolve. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Once again, many thanks for help in resolving these issues.

TC