WnSoft Forums

Mipmap or Monitor Moire?

tom95521

More of a question than a bug. Created a test slideshow with sharpened image then converted to a black and white image. This creates a dithered effect. I notice a moire pattern either due to dynamic image size or moire interference with 4K LCD monitor. I remember many years ago PTE fixed a Mipmap problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mipmap

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moiré_pattern

I am wondering what causes this and if anything can be done to reduce the pattern (other than avoiding zooming high frequency images). The moire pattern does not show up with screen capture so it must be interference pattern with monitor? Created with PTE 10.5.7.  Mac and PC display moire pattern.

Thanks,
Tom

May not be visible on YT video so I will attach backup.

moire_Jan4-2022_6-32-09.zip

Tom,

B/W picture is super sharp with thousands small dots at high contrast. Such kind of picture always produces terrible moire effect while zooming. The only solution is to add smoothing or avoid any zoom.

Color picture. Setting "Sharper/smoother" in the Properties tab to "0" or even "100" will fix slight moire effect around cat mustache.

"Sharper/smoother" parameter changes a balance between sharpness and smoothness for mipmapping. Setting "-100" gives more details and sometimes moire may appear. Setting "0" and more helps to avoid moire (with one exception described above) but a picture looks a bit blurry (especially on non-Retina screens).

Maybe in the future monitors will have new technology that will lessen the moire pattern. I understand some camera models do not have a low pass filter or use FFT filter to fix moire patterns. If I notice the problem I will add smoothing.

Thanks,
Tom