WnSoft Forums

My small farm show

targa911

I like your video. The old photos are remarkably clear?

The colourisation has been done sympathetically. 
I think that the first few of the rusting giants are a little too saturated. 
All in all, it is a splendid show. 

Macian, thank you. I mostly work with original negatives and use camera scanning. The old negative formats such as 122, 616 and even the old 620/120 negatives are large and hold looks of detail. Mostly I have 5x7 glass negatives but even the smaller 4x5's contain lots of detail. So many people scan their photos but neglect the old negs and leave them in drawers or boxes. I'm not a big fan of colorization but it works well on some photos. But I find they almost always need tweaking in Photoshop.

I'll go back and try working with the saturation issue. Wasn't a color issue as much as a bit of contrast. I use On1 and add Dynamic Contrast to many of my originals to add punch. Sounds like I might have over done! Thanks!! 

YOU TUBE Ads   -- I have over 200 short video (not AV shows) on You Tube. I am not aware that ads have ever been run with my videos.  That might change now that I say this :rolleyes:

Very nice show, wonderful images.

A few comments:

- The opening title is difficult to read. Needs a more contrasting colour.

- It would be nice to have the transitions synch with the music. Not sure it that would work with that music.

- The background story on the colourizations would be nice

- Exposures on the rusting tractors is inconsistent 

Very subtle use of Ken Burns effect. Not sure it adds much, but might keep some people more tuned it. 

JRR, Totally agree on the opening title. Wouldn't do that again. Been watching Barry's videos. Next thing I want to work on is syncing the music. Considered it for this one but you are correct the music didn't seem to be  appropriate. Kinda hard to find free music when not monetizing or profiting for videos. I just use my videos for historical memories and saving history's. Can't stand elevator music or electronic music. Any suggestions for a source for the type of vintage vintage I do? Not sure what you mean by "background story on colorization's"? 

"- Exposures on the rusting tractors is inconsistent"  Not sure on this point either?  

Thanks for the comments.

Finding music is a BIG job, I spent hours going through my CDs to find music. Most of it was copyrighted, but not all.

I didn't worry about copyrighted music much at the time as my shows were not made publicly available. I presented them live to "private" audiences.

You Tube can spot a copyrighted tune in seconds. You Tube does have a library of copyright free music, and there are websites with copyright free music, some free, some not.

Colourization story- I would like to know how the colourization was done. By yourself, by photoshop, or.....

Exposure - some of the tractor shots, especially the close ups if I remember correctly, were very bright, almost looked lit by flash. The overall shots were not as bright. It isn't a big deal, but just one of the finer points to having the images blend better.

I also meant to say it was too bad the tractors were left out in the elements like that.

Really really Clever. I like the idea of saving memories of a time long past.

By coincidence, I recently ‘came across’ some sepia images of 19th Century London and have been toying with an idea of putting a audio visual together of Memories. So as you may imagine, your audio visual was of even more special interest.

Interestingly too, I have used a colourisation program on these sepia Images of Old London and am  quite impressed with the results. No doubt there are many such programs around, I have started using ……

https://pixbim.com/colorize-photos

Music. I also have that issue with finding suitable background music, but your choice, for me, was okay. It did not jar and was just there in the background.

A really clever presentation of old memories.

JJR,  need to have my videos public as some are used by historical societies and local town historians. And families with relatives in the videos. I have looked at some of the YouTube selections but didn't find anything I liked. The one I used in this video was free with a donation so not great but I found it quickly. 

As for the colorization I have been using pixbim. It mostly brings it close to accurate colors. Recently they added a slider to correct for the over abundance of reddish tones. Works kinda. Also pixbim misses some areas and leaves them b&w. I almost always take the photos into Photoshop to add color or correct for missed color by pixbim. PS's new select and mask works pretty well for making small selections for color enhancement or changes. But pixbim is really just a starting point.

I rarely use flash. I was trying to emphasize the textures and rust of the poor almost forgotten work horses of old. Softening them probably would have given them a more sad and vintage look. Good point. Maybe if I were doing a slideshow about old tractors as objects that would have been the way to go but I was looking for more of a sad narrative so less bright should have been considered.

In Iowa old tractors are considered lawn art. I have lots of photos of tractors in the wild. This shoot was a paying job and the farmer wanted a calendar and a couple posters.

I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Xenofex2, So many memories are being lost. Just trying to do my part. I mainly specialize in digitizing old format negatives and glass negatives. Very few outlets for this. I have over 50 years in darkrooms and labs so I'm familiar with most of these old format treasures. A couple years ago I digitized over 200 5x7 glass negatives that had been in an attic for over 80 years!! Some of the images in this show are from that collection. 

Would love to see these images! Don't toy around! Do it! Sounds like a great project.

A couple hints. I personally wouldn't use pixbim on sepia images. Just adds another layer of potential color distortion. Pixbim as well as most colorization programs I have used tend to go to paste colors. Adding sepia just adds another level. My workflow: First I scan with a camera. Much better results then a scanner. Take image into PhotoShop and turn into a black and white using channels, in grayscale mode. Change mode back to color mode. Make any clean up and or contrast changes and send to Gigapixel. I try for the highest sharpness of my images and Gigapixel mostly works better then PS, IMO. Back to PS and size to 1920x1080. Bring into either ProShow Producer (a great program but no longer in business) or my current favorite slideshow maker PTE AV 10.

If I can be of any help let me know!! We need more people saving old memories!!

Thx for info re colourization.

Good luck with the music. It is 50% of the AV presentation and can make or break a production.

Be aware that sometimes You Tube will nail you for copyrighted music even though you bought it as royalty free. That happened to me twice (a longish time ago). And even happened to the composer of the music when he used it in a You Tube video.

As Xenofex2 mentioned above, the music was OK for this show, but you might be surprised at the difference if you found music that would synch with the image transitions.

Hi Barry,

Photoshop colorize filter processing is done in the cloud? I thought it downloaded the neural filter to the PC and it does the object detection and color processing? I have PhotoGlory which is a less expensive Windows only alternative. It is not a cloud based colorizer. It's not perfect and the skies are usually washed out.

Thanks,
Tom

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/colorize.html

https://youtu.be/9rfb_AHLIwY?t=306

My experience is that you would never know it was cloud based, because it works faster than many other filters I’ve used. Is there an issue I’ve not noticed? It’s made no difference to me at all. Photoglory would not be less expensive to those who are users of Photoshop, because the Neural filters are a free addition. 

As a part time senior student at the local University I am lucky to have access to all the Adobe Creative Cloud software. In my limited testing I did not find much difference in quality between Photoshop and PhotoGlory.

Back to the original topic. Fantastic slideshow of old black and white photos, colorized photos, and rust. I know a few people that collect old metal objects that rust and they place in their yards as art sculptures. Not tractors, but pieces of boilers, saws, etc.

Thanks,
Rusty Tom

Tom95521Rust.jpeg

AI_Colorized_Comparison.jpg

Really enjoyable and it has given me some ideas. I have nearly all of my family bw negatives going back to 1930's so maybe there will be something there that I can use when I get my scanner a new light source,

John