WnSoft Forums

Auto run

Clive Timmons

Clive:

Yes it is can be done quite easily.

I use an autorun.inf file and Shell.exe file

BUt I think there is an autorun utility at Beechbrook cottage

http://www.beechbrook.com/pte/

If that is not suitable for you, send me an email (click on "e-mail" below and I will send you a sample AUTORUN.inf and Shell.exe

Jim

Open Notepad and copy this in:

[autorun]

open=start.exe

icon=start.ico

Save the file as autorun.txt

Then include it along with your other files and the CD will boot automatically.

Sharon (Starfish)

Sharon...

The file needs to be "autorun.inf" not txt

Just trying to help out ;)

Bart

Clive

For exe to run automatically when inserting CD you need a file named "autorun.inf". The computer checks every few seconds if a CD was inserted and if there is "autorun.inf" file inside the CD.

This file is a simple text file but not with TXT extention. The file can be very long with many comands inside, but we usually use the simple one which include only two comands:

1. Which exe to open and run

2. which icon to show on the explorer.

We can use only one comand if we don't care about the icon.

Autorun file looks like this:

[autorun]

open=YourFile.exe

icon=YourIcon.ico

You should put "YourFile.exe" and "YourIcon.ico" and "autorun.inf" in the root of the CD, that means, no folder used.

If you want to use folders, for example, you want your CD to have a folder named "YourFolder" and inside it to put "YourFile.exe" and "YourIcon.ico" you should remember that you have to make a change in the "autorun.inf". In this case it will look like this:

[autorun]

open=YourFolder\YourFile.exe

icon=YourFolder\YourIcon.ico

Remember that "autorun.inf" should always be in the root of the CD and not in a folder.

There are few utilities at http://beechbrook.com/pte/

"Autorun Maker" will generate "autorun.inf" for you.

"Autorun Utility" will let you include up to 7 shows in the CD.

They both have help.

I hope this will help you.

Granot

Clive..

Can you delete your 2nd post about autorun and lets keep it in 1 place? ;)

(provided no one has answered it or Igor might can move it)

It gets cofusing when there are several topics of the same subject throughout the forum!

The root of a CD is the base..the files like autorun.inf is by itself!

Not in a directory!

It is like what Granot mentioned in the above post!! :)

Bart

Thank you for your email Don yes once you get good help everything seems easy and I got lots from this forums membership so my Cd's are taking on a new light I have also touched base with a Friend from the past Alan Lyons who has being helping aspiring photographers for years in Dublin through The Photographic Society of Ireland anyone looking for an interesting way to learn about the craft should look them up .Don have you tried the autorun utility freedownload on beechbrook its the an excellent way to introduce your show thanks again for your email and keep on rocking

Clive.

I usually don't bother with the .ICO either, since you're creating an Autorun program you'll only get to see your customized icon flash upon your desktop (assuming you've got a shortcut to your CD drive there..) for a second or so before the PTE slideshow kicks in and covers the screen. Adding an icon to a non auto-run PTE show might be a bit better, at least with that you'd get to admire it on your desktop for as long as you like before you manually started the show!

Jim.