WnSoft Forums

Icon creation?

David Humphrey

Dear David,

you either use already existing icons or you make your own ones, but then you should use a specialized program just for that purpose. Well, you can make icons in any graphic program, but with specialized programs it's easier.

I've tested quite a bunch of those Icon programs. The best I came across so far is called Icon Edit Pro v7.03. It's an austrian software - very good.

http://www.iconedit.com/

In my humble opinion, it isn't worth while paying for a specialized software. IconEdit is a very suitable program, but IconArt is free... but as for me, I use normally the old good Paint, with "Show grid" enabled and the maximum zoom factor (800%). I find very pleasing to create freely my icons.

Paint doesn't allow to save your icon as *.ICO, so I save it as BMP 256 or 16 colors as well as GIF (256 colors). Then I open this image with Irfanview and save it as ICO.

see

http://stephenh.home.texas.net/atw.shtml

for some possible sources of icons.

I love icons and use

FavOrg, Version 1.2

Copyright © 2000 Ziff Davis Media, Inc.

Written by Patrick Phillipot

First Published in PC Magazine, US Edition, November 17, 2000, v19n19

http://www.pcmag.com/utilities/

this program stores all the icons it gets in a file and there is a ready supply in the folder

C:\Program Files\FavOrg\Data

also do a google search for free icons and you will soon have a collection

I am ashamed to tell how big my collection is

ken :unsure:

This is an fyi re icons.

i whipped up a little comedy show with cartoons this morn for my email friends -- it was < 1/2 meg. i saved and created it with no music or icons. -- then i thought i would enhance it a bit -- i got a little midi out of my files and an icon from my collection -- did a save as under a different name, and then tried a create as under the new name -- got an error message that i couldnt do that or words to that effect -- i checked the folder and the new files were there with the new name -- the new file would run and the music would play -- but the icon i had installed in the program was not showing on the exe -- scratched head a bit -- checked properties of the icon -it was READ ONLY -- unchecked the box and checked the archive box -- did a save as and create as and no error messages now -- and icon is on the exe

btw the show was called Smile --TGIF :(

ken