WnSoft Forums

P2E & PAD / Handheld

Ken Thomson

I don't possess a PDA so have never tried, but I just e-mailed a programmer friend who is familiar with PDA's and he says:

No, it won't. The pte .exe will be x86-based code and Pocket PCs run on ARM processors (at least the 2002 versions do; earlier ones also ran on Mips and other chips).

If there's an x86 emulator for PPC's then it might run, but I don't know if such a thing actually exists.

Ian

Ken, I had asked your PTE question too - with same answer - no. But as for a PDA that displays well your photos - they are getting better. I have not kept up with each new model, but I am happy with the quality of my photos on my Sony Clie. The 320x320 resolution doesn't sound like much, but is markedly better than the more typical 160x160. Also, there are several slide-show programs for displaying your pictures on the pda, but certainly none with the power and possibilites of PTE. Still they are fun for bragging about your kids or Saturday adventure.

I run PDA slideshows on my Palm m515 with very good quality. Of course you can't run pte shows of any kind and I never intend to. It is nice to be able to take some pictures with you to show others while on the road. I keep mine on my 32Meg secure card.

Bill

but I am happy with the quality of my photos on my Sony Clie.

LumenLux,

I had trouble with my new Sony computer and Sony gave me a Sony Clie PEG-SL10 for my trouble. It is the the Black and White screen but it was still free. I had no idea what all I can do with this. I have not really even read the book yet. But, when you said you use yours to show pictures it looking like I might find some uses for it after all. I was wondering what else you have found usefull with you Clie. And what else I might look into. I was wondering if there is any freeware that you know of that is usefull. Thanks for any information.

cc

http://www.sonystyle.com/ (search "SL10"

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nXtClieClub/

cc -

I must admit, I was a little like Guido - I resisted using a pda for a long time. I thought a pda didn't fit in my personal "system" of daily life. A couple of factors changed my oppinion. When I first saw the improved image on the first Clie I saw it made a big difference to eyes that like things brighter. (photos and text!) Secondly, when I realized that the sony memory stick feature gave unlimited storage and program capacity that made a difference. And by selecting a digital camera that also accepts sony memory sticks, I could move things back and forth as needed - I concluded to drop my written day-planner and take the leap.

Now what is it actually good for ?

I think the uses are not very limited. But I think many users become obsessed with the novelty and use it for things that are better done on your desktop. But it is fun to do "big" things on such a little thing. Some folks do the traditional spread sheets, data bases and word processing. Some do "everything." My son-in-law loves to dl all his email to his pda and read it when he has a chance during the day. I found that was not helpful to me and it made the "hot-sync" time too long for my taste.

The first link at the first of this message will get you to Sony's sight on the SL10. The second site is a very active Clie / pda group. I visited there for a couple of weeks as I was trying to learn what is available and get other peoples thoughts on it. I also attended one 2 hour class that was helpful.

Now after the initial flurry of use, here is my most regular use -

Calendar and day planning, appointments or especially To-Do's that I need to not forget. The ability to roll forward or repeat these items is very helpful. I enter all that I can on the desktop keyboard and then hot-sync to'from the pda. I don't get any pleasure or utility by writing long pieces directly on the pda.

Phone numbers.

E-book or Reader features. I use my scriptures and other reference books on pda. It is very handy to not drag around a stack of books, but be able to instantly look up a library full of information. At first I would even read Esau's Fables while waiting in checkout lines. But that sort of wore off.

Photo sharing. With the memory sticks you can carry far more photos than anybody will ever want to see.

:)

Thank you so much for the information.

I have not yet bought a memory stick but I can see this will be

in my future. I guess its about time I install the software

and start looking the Clie over a little better. I did not really think I

would find any good uses for it when I got it. But, it Looks better already.

Thanks

Chuck