WnSoft Forums

C A T E G O R I E S !!!

Truelight

We know this is possible because there are already 2 categories in this forum - Important Topics and Forum Topics. The site is becoming very difficult to navigate and ofen threads will get buried before a person has a chance to read and respond to a user's questions.

The "regulars" have been pleading for this for some time. Is there a Sysop for this forum or was it just created and left to operate on its own?

We're begging WnSoft.... PLEASE create a bit more structure here with some Category groupings!! If you need us to suggest some category headings, I'm sure we will be only too happy to suggest some.

I think what ever the first three categories, the fourth should be "everything that does not fit in the first three." I think also, "beginners" is better served by the "beginner" looking wherever the subject suggests rather than having a beginner category. The already included instructions are the natural "beginning" if a person wants to read them. I suspect most of us usually begin by doing rather than reading.

Igor, are we going to have 4 categories plus the pinned category as we have now for the latest version beta?

and

are you going to incorporate the old database archives into the present forum?

Pinned: PicturesToExe v4.00 beta #4

---------------------------

1.sound

2.graphics

3.general problems/comments/social

4.Hints for and Questions by Beginners (includes how to get your reg key). this section could also include a pinned area show the history, text, faq which Igor would have to update as versions are changed

ken

If we're limited to only 4, I would like to see:

1. Images (technical discussion, problems, etc.)

2. Audio (technical discussion, problems, etc.)

3. New Member (questions, tips, advice, etc.)

4. General (comments, social, and everything that doesn't fit under the above.)

(sort of in order of importance)

Also, Igor, as well as having sub-categories, can they be organized in two layers, not like the two categories we now have, with both on the same page?

What I visualize is a system such that when you click on one of the new main categories, you open a separate page of different threads (or sub-categories) relating to the main category, similar to what we have now with only one category.

Then, as now, clicking on a thread would bring up a chronological sequence of messages pertaining to that thread.

Otherwise, there won't be room on one page for all the threads open under any particular main category.

This way, there would still be room for your "pinned" category, plus any links leading to general information about PTE, and a link leading to the archives, as Ken suggested in his posting.

Invision already has the smarts it just has to be configured to suit our needs

see

http://help.lockergnome.com/index.php?

ken

Yes, exactly like this, - stand-alone sub-forums. Not pinned topics.

1. General. - OK

2. For new users of PicturesToExe. - OK (especially with pinned one or several FAQ topics)

3. Sound (do include synchronization topics?)

4. Images. - OK

5. ?

Maybe some other useful categories can be included? Please advice.

I'm with Ken on this. A "general" category is needed, or people won't bother to post if it doesn't fit in with the other categories. We want to encourage participation in the forum, not discourage it.

The problem of too many posts in the "general" category would be partly solved through the use of more categories. I feel 4 is not sufficient, and there is certainly room on the front page for more than 4.

Some additional suggested topics are:

- special effects

- techniques for effective slide shows

- notification of new shows produced

- digital AV news, interesting web sites, competitions

- discussion on new versions of PTE.

- suggested new features and modifications.

- other useful software

- use of objects

There will always be the problem of overlap between topics, but it is easy to check out a number of topics to see if there is anything of interest.

The forum will naturally be amorphous, and ever-changing in nature, subject to the whims of the participants. A few polite "flames" now and then should keep people using it according to the original intentions, and new categories can always be added, if warranted, according to the number of posts on different topics.

Just my 2-cents-worth. :)

Here are two cents worth....

I wouldn't like to see a new users group as I suspect some the senior etc users might not bother looking at it and the new users are going to miss out on the great advice that this forum provides.

So I would like to see:

1. Wish list for future updates.

2. sound issues (creating sound files, not working in pte etc)

3. image issues (creating images, sizing, transitions etc)

4. program workings (how do I get Editor Objects to work, How do I do such and such,)

5. Whatever else

From what I've seen of this forum software, there is a reason to minimize the number of sub-forums.

Now that there is only one sub-forum, I can simply look at it and then click at the blue-down arrow in each thread title to get new messages since the last time I have logged on.

If we break the forum into many sub-forums, one will need to click to get into each sub-forum to check for new messages.

There IS the "View New Posts" function, but that seems to give you all the individual new posts (although there DOES seems to be a way to get back into the thread context).

Personally, I prefer the current format, because I think it is easier and faster for me to read new messages this way, but I do seem to be a minority of one :). If y'all think the other way is better, so be it.

Harold

I have been following all the categories that are being suggested and there are now so many that it has now got to the point where the Forum would be better left as it is. As I consult the Forum at least once a day it is quite easy for me to see where there has been any changes. If categories are made I suggest that the number be limited to say five, plus a general (don't know where to put it) category.

Ron [uK]

I personally believe all forums should have some type of grouping of its postings. This supports a better response time from those more knowledegable within a certain issue or subject. Plus, when I login to other forums ... I always view the issues relative to my needs/ problem first. This in no way ignores the less important user questions ... as we all have a different criterior of whats more important to our current questions or needs.

4 to 5 subject Groups is just fine ... to many becomes more counter productive .

1- "Basic Overall " Issues -- deals with the everyday common questions, functions and program useage.

2- "Music-Sound" Issues -- (self defining)

3- "Image-Graphic" Issues -- ( self defining)

4- "General Q & A " -- deals pretty much with anything ... between anything topical or informative and for those that like to post wish lists etc.

Oh well ... for me its back to the drawing board :)