forum AV

Guest damor

ED

i got a gig of ram

my graphics card

http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9000/aiw9000pro/index.html

but i got a 2.8 mghz processor

so i have no problem viewing the show

Patrick was not in favour of the "peace" show from the start and he aint got the horsepower to run the show with his current system and if i remember right you were complaining early on re the direction the project was going

you have to visit the forum daily , read ALL postings in every section not just the one's that strike your fancy

btw

you are listed in the credits B)

ken

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Come on you guys, what are you moaning about?

I use an Athlon AMD XP2100+, 1Gb ram and a Matrox Millenniums G450 graphics card with dual screen display and have NO trouble with running Peace,

The only thing I have is a slight stutter between Budda and the butterfly.

Give Maureen a break she has done a tremendous job of putting a wonderful show together.

George

ED

i got a gig of ram

my graphics card

http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9000/aiw9000pro/index.html

but i have a 2.8 mghz processor

so i have no problem viewing the show -- it runs smooth as silk

Patrick was not in favour of the "peace" show from the start and he does not have the horsepower to run the show with his current system

and if i remember right you were complaining early on re the direction the project was going -- the show was not even put together -- all the picts were not in -- how many picts did we get from 2800+- members -- we got more excuses as to why they were so busy -- we were looking for royalty free music -- no offers

you have to visit the forum daily , read ALL postings in every section not just the one's that strike your fancy

with all the complaining this project generated we will be lucky to get another one to fly

but who knows Maybe just Maybe somebody will jump into the breach and then ??

btw Ed

you are listed in the credits B)

have done a screenshot for you for posterity

ken

post-16-1145028833_thumb.jpg

I have had no problems running the sequence, and yet the indications are that my graphics card may not be able to cope with v.5.0.

Maureen did take the sequence off-line in order to do a bit of tweaking. I downloaded this fresh version only yesterday. Are those with problems using the revised version - Peace#8.exe?

Ron [uK]

Patrick was not in favour of the "peace" show from the start

.... yes Ken but that doesn't mean I am unable to change my mind !!!

... and he does not have the horsepower to run the show with his current system

... yes but I download each slideshow presented on Beechbrook download page, not to mention the one I download on personal web pages, diverse forums or friend's creations.

That makes a great number of PTE slideshows !!!! .... 5 a week is a reasonable number.

Despite my anemic PC, problems are very, very, very seldom and If they happen they are concerning very few transitions and I solve in most cases the problem... even with the recent Lumenlux's one !

The Peace show (Peace#8.exe) is particular as the jerky transitions are numerous, not overridable by key strokes and not treated by a clean machine (no background working softwares, rebooted machine, ..).

I tried it on 2 other (more powerfull PC than mine) and the jerky transitions where even there .. a little bit lesser but the whole slideshow is problematic.

I don't speak about the theme, I gave my opinion a few posts before but just a remark.

As the photos are not immediateley and clearly peace related, to understand a little bit the subject we have to understand well english... text is english or latin, even the music is in english !!!!

... conclusion, for a non english speaker this slideshow is just a melting of various photos gloryfying sometimes army, sometimes America and Canada, sometimes Christendom but impossible, apart the title, to clearly identify it as a peace message !

Come on you guys,

what are you moaning about?I use an Athlon AMD XP2100+, 1Gb ram and a Matrox Millenniums G450 graphics card with dual screen display and have NO trouble with running Peace,

And now then !!!!

I am enchanted for you but this doesn't change the fact that I cannot read properly this slideshow, nor 2 of my friends, and Ed Overtsreet too !!

To solve my problem, I propose you to give you, per MP, my coordinates so that you can send me your equipment !

In a normal case the author has to adapt to the public he wants to reach and not reverse !

Sorry, but it is not in my intentions to update my PC just to have pleasure to "read" slideshows dedicated to happy fews.

I am very disappointed as having an other opinion than that expressed by very few is automatically seen as bad.

Having problems are then ipso facto denied.

If so I will come here in the future from time to time and have a look on this forum so that I just don't miss the issue of the version 4 updates !

Hey... be indulgent, one time, for my approximative english speaking. I tried to do my best !

Sorry, I changed my answer for the right place (I mistakenly posted it in Severn Bore's topic where I, of course, deleted it).

well Patrick we generally discuss the presentations in the other section.

to see if i would have a problem on my other system i fired it up

some of it's specs

Operating System System Model

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C694X

Processor a Main Circuit Board b

1.30 gigahertz Intel Celeron

32 kilobyte primary memory cache

256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: 694X-686B

Bus Clock: 100 megahertz

BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 03/26/2002

1 gb of ram

the graphics card i use in it is an ati all in wonder128 with i think 16 mb on board ram -- first edition

i also have a fixed swap file of 1 gb [on both systems]

i ran the /#8 peace show fine on that system as well

but it is a slow puppy to make dvd's with

now how does one xfer files/equipment with google earth :rolleyes:

peace be with you friend

ken

I have had no problems running the sequence, and yet the indications are that my graphics card may not be able to cope with v.5.0.

Maureen did take the sequence off-line in order to do a bit of tweaking. I downloaded this fresh version only yesterday. Are those with problems using the revised version - Peace#8.exe?

Ron [uK]

Hi Ron.

For the record, the version that I downloaded is Peace#8.exe. The date associated with that file on my system, which is probably the date and time when I unzipped it, is April 13 at 7:25am Eastern Daylight time, which would be 12:25 in England. So it seems to be the version you have. I'm happy it runs well on your system. It doesn't run well on mine. Nor on Patrick's. Nor on Patrick's friends'.

To others in this thread:

I don't want to add much to what Patrick said, I thought rather eloquently, but to say there clearly is a problem with the way this show is constructed (I'm referring here to what the computer is being asked to do in terms of transitions), or with the software, or perhaps, but only perhaps, with some of the equipment that is running it, I'm not sure which, and I have neither the time at the moment nor the expertise with which to debug any of the above.

But I honestly don't think the problem has anything to do with my motivation, nor with Patrick's. I think it unfortunate when someone attempts to point out some problems, we only get personal attacks in response.

Instead of "blaming the victims," how about finding a solution to the issues?

I think I've said all on this thread that I want to say. I see no point in continuing my participation in this discussion, and I am removing my subscription to it as soon as I close this post.

now how does one xfer files/equipment with google earth :rolleyes:

Sorry Ken but I absolutely not understand this expression !

Can you say me what you want to say ?

Concerning my equipment, it's quite anemic (AMD Athlon 1.01 GHZ, SDRAM 512 MB, NVIDIA GEFORCE 2MMX, 32MB Video memory).

You can give me other examples where this slideshow runs smoothly, this does not change anything to the fact that, as I told it in my precedent post, the vast majority of PTE slideshows wich can be downloaded are running without problem with this equipment. This one does not !

Sorry if it is this one !!!

To say truth, as this topic seems to make problem and only one opinion is admitted, I had npo intention to give any comment.

As Ed Overstreet's problems where the same as mine, I was appeased not to be the sole to have difficulties ... that's why I posted a comment.

Ken, whe are not on school benches. We both are largely more then 10 years old :D

If you think I am saying tomfooleries just because I am not enthusiastic with this slideshow, then it's a waist of time to give any opinion or comment here.

Just a point of reflection. 312 people have downloaded this slideshow... how many gave a comment ?

If giving a personal opinion and not just a formatted one (Oh, how great it is, wonderfull, hard job, brilliant ... and so on) is regarded as an aberation ... no wonder nobody will take the risk of posting.

Sorry but for me, photography is a pleasure and using PTE an other one. Getting angry for such unreal discussion where the speaking of a forum member is questionned is senseless.

So, for me I will stop here discussing about the behaviour of this slideshow. It is working absolutely fine and it is the best one I have ever seen on the web. It is a hit ! A world masterpiece ! Congratulations !

Patrick

in one of your replies you said something about my coordinates so i could send you my equipment -

"To solve my problem, I propose you to give you, per MP, my coordinates so that you can send me your equipment !"

- thought you had a way new way using gooogel earth to xfer files :rolleyes:

sorry if you didnt get the pun

maybe we could get one of those Antonov 12 's to do the job

ken

Patrick, your comments are always welcome. Personally, when I make any PTE sequence available, the very first thing I want to know is "Can every viewer see what I saw when I created the show?" The only way I can know, is if people tell me. I learned a good lesson from Igor when PTE was just starting to make DVD output. I was having a particular problem getting the DVD feature to work always. When I told Igor about it, I was afraid he would dismiss my problem because the feature was working well for many other people. But Igor accepted that all I could do was tell him what I was experiencing. So he kept trying to determine why I was getting certain results. His great attitude encouraged me to also try to diagnose the problem and we eventually came up with most the answers. If someone tells me they can not see my show properly, I may or may not be able to "solve" that, but I certainly want to know about the problem.

I've said before, and probably will say again - your ability with the english is remarkable. Of course sometimes, a non-native language can make discussions even more interesting. <_< I thank you and every other non-english member for being willing to write english in this forum. If you were writing only in french, I would get so little benefit, it would be like trying to run a PTE show on the very first home computer I ever had. Thanks again to you and everyone else who ventures to share shows or thoughts through this forum.

Ed

You address your thread to me and in it you say "I think it unfortunate when someone attempts to point out some problems, we only get personal attacks in response. Instead of "blaming the victims," how about finding a solution to the issues? "

My thread was a statement of fact as regards my equipment followed by a suggestion as to what might be the cause of the problem. There was no personal attack.

Amazing how a sequence on "PEACE" can provoke just the opposite.

Ron [uK]

Amazing how a sequence on "PEACE" can provoke just the opposite.

... because it is a serious subject which can not accomodate with improvisation even if there is a great enthusiasm to speak and treat about it.

Subjective meanings, patriotic, nationalistic, religious, sexual preferences are imperatively be left behind in the change room !

Hi all,

Firstly, congratulations to Maureen for the masterpiece that she created from our submissions. I thought that she was an extremely brave person to take it on in the first place, but the end result could not have been better. The music chosen was right for the original idea and reflects the feelings of us all.

I think it fair to suggest that if anyone has a similar idea in future he/she should be prepared to take it to a conclusion himself/herself!

As for this debate about the technical aspects I will merely say that it runs perfectly on my P4 3.02 with 512 RAM Laptop with iffy graphics card (Igor is not sure that it will cope with V5).

BUT, it also runs acceptably well on my P2 450 desktop with 64MB of RAM - (FROM A MEMORY KEY!).

So please, no more about this! There is obviously nothing wrong with the show. If it does not run to your satisfaction on your machine then I think it is safe to say that it is your machine that is at fault.

I want to raise one aspect for debate though and it applies not specifically to this show but to all shows which are offered for download. I think I am correct in saying that Maureen took our 1024x768 images (that is what I submitted) and made a show with the fit-to-screen option enabled? (It plays full screen on both my laptop's 1280x1024 monitor and my desktop's 1024x768 monitor). The end result is that I can see some degradation in some of the images on the 1280x1024 screen due to the upsizing which Igor has said PTE does not handle very well. Personally, I would prefer to see my 1024x768 images (in my own shows) presented at 1024x768 and strive to ensure in my shows that what I created is what the audience sees.

Any comments?

Daveg

So please, no more about this! There is obviously nothing wrong with the show. If it does not run to your satisfaction on your machine then I think it is safe to say that it is your machine that is at fault.

NO COMMENT .... it is just the unique slideshow for wich I have this problem and I am not isolated !!!!

Thank you very very much for your great help ! ... it is encouraging for anyone who has problems :(:(:(

This particular topic has been very well supported by forum members and the latest slide show, presented by Maureen, is excellent. I downloaded it yesterday and it runs as smooth as clockwork on my system.

(pentium 4, 2.4 processor and 2 gig of ram).

Some folk have chosen to offer some critisism, but I suggest that it may be that their computer set up is just not 'man enough' to run this show properly.

The work that Maureen has clearly put into producing this superb show is worthy of a commendation. Well done Maureen!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest damor

chuffed to bits. Have congratulated Maureen, the welsh lady wizard, for weaving her magic.

thanks and grateful to all for your support. :D:D:D Dave.