WnSoft Forums

.jpg files not viewable in PTE

LumenLux

A new user who took my advice to buy this fine software has encountered a problem that is new to me.

He starts with his .jpg files on cd from a photo processor lab. He has copied the .jpg files from cd to his hard drive. Using normal Windows XP viewer, these photos show just fine from the hard drive. When the user tries to use them in PTE, only 3 or 4 of them will appear. Most of the XP viewed photos won't show in PTE but produce some kind of error message of damage or corruption problem.(I assume the message is a PTE message.) Is there some kind of file problem that would stop PTE but allow XP or other viewer to see the photos as ok?

Robert,

This may yield a clue to your friend's problem as I had a similar problem just a few weeks ago:-

The 'Image Sizes' on most 'Photolab CDs' are truly massive depending on how the Camera was set-up.

If he had chosen a 1mB Set-Up Image, the resultant "take" can vary from 700kB ~ 1.4 mB and assuming

he had 30~40 'Shots' this could quite easily 'over-run' the Virtual Memory settings on his PC which may be

near its default limits doing other work.....This is manually adjustable if so desired.

You would need to question the Camera settings and the number of Images vis-a-vis his PC.Virtual Memory settings.

The fact that the Images are directly viewable from the CD would indicate that 'alls well' with the CD and Graphics Card and the PC.direct view functions.

Al Robinson may have more to say on this subject, as Al is a prolific Photographer and must have come across

this problem in the past....

It's only conjecture at this stage but it may yield some clues ?

Brian.Conflow.

No, I've never had this problem. Don't know what to suggest, either, except that maybe some of the files got corrupted in the copying and burning process. Make sure you have "show image" turned on.

(can't do much experimenting at the moment as I'm on vacation right now - I'm writing this from Abilene, Texas, on our way down to Big Bend Nat'l Park ( to get some warmer air - I'm freezing my buns even here, writing from the picnic table at 8:30 PM. )

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Robert,

We're planning on heading on up route 395 through the interior of California, provided the weather cooperates. Would like to visit Colorado, but it's still too cold for those elevations.

We had a great time in "Big Bend" National park in TX, the "Gila cliff dwellings" in NM, and now the Desert Museum and Saguaro National Park just outside Tucson, AZ. The weather turned cold for a few days (frost on the windshield this AM at the Gilbert Ray campground next to the Tucson Desert Museum), and now we're back in Tucson for van repairs. Hope to head out Wed to Anza Borego (sp?) in CA for a few days before heading north again. Have always wanted to see Mammoth Lake, Mono lake, Yosemite, etc., etc., but winter seems to have moved in to the higher elevations, so will take it as it comes. I remember almost freezing to death on a campout near Lone Pine in May, 45 years ago. :)

Am getting some good bird photos (I hope), and other wildlife (coyotes, etc.). The desert is a magical place - maybe a slideshow here. :) Have been photographing some potential "pans'.

Ciao

Al

Thanks for the update Al. Sounds like you are living the life! Slide showS I would think. :)

If it looks like you are going to take on Yosemite, and want to try some bear photos, let me know. I may can tip you to a location that the rangers won't. In August 2004, we found the park lacking most water, but I hada great bear experience. I did not get the shot though - so they are waiting for you.