WnSoft Forums

Uploading to Beechbrook

JEB

I have been trying to upload my first slide show to Beechbrook but find that it is taking ages. After two attempts of approx. 30 mins I have given up. Is this to be expected?

I am using 1 MB broadband.

I have used a trial version of WinZip (never zipped before only unzipped).

The show comprises of 50 slides (average size 400 kb) and an mp3 music file of 63,544 kb.

When I zip the “MyFile”.exe” file which is 27.8 MB it only packs to 25.3 MB as the “MyFile”.zip file. Should I be zipping the “MyFile”.pte (only 17kb – I can’t believe that this is big enough!) file rather than the .exe file?

The PTE Upload Guidelines at Beechbrook do refer to PTE files but not specifically as extensions.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

John

I have been trying to upload my first slide show to Beechbrook but find that it is taking ages. After two attempts of approx. 30 mins I have given up. Is this to be expected?

I am using 1 MB broadband.

I have used a trial version of WinZip (never zipped before only unzipped).

The show comprises of 50 slides (average size 400 kb) and an mp3 music file of 63,544 kb.

When I zip the “MyFile”.exe” file which is 27.8 MB it only packs to 25.3 MB as the “MyFile”.zip file. Should I be zipping the “MyFile”.pte (only 17kb – I can’t believe that this is big enough!) file rather than the .exe file?

The PTE Upload Guidelines at Beechbrook do refer to PTE files but not specifically as extensions.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

John

sent cheshire cats last weekn only problem i had was of my making i hadnt added the extension .zip to the file name it didnt take long to upload . i zipped the exe file and called it cheshire cats.zip

Hi John the numbers you quote are about what you would expect for zipping a 27mb file. My slideshow the river is 32.3mb and zips to about 30mb. The reason is that zip files do not compress pictures very much as by their nature jpg files are already compressed. In effect you are only compressing the music file and also the PTE file instructions. The main reason for uploading a zip file to beechbrook, is that windows, especially the xp flavours, is very picky when asked to download exe files. In addition your broadband connection will give you much slower upload speeds than than your stated speed, typically about 20% of the stated speed.

Hope this is of some help come back if you need anything explained better, and I will do my best.

Regards

Geoff

Thanks for those replies folks. I now know I'm not trying to do something totally daft. I will try later but not tonight as it's Saturday night here and I'm off to the pub!

Cheers!!

John

Thanks for those replies folks. I now know I'm not trying to do something totally daft. I will try later but not tonight as it's Saturday night here and I'm off to the pub!

Cheers!!

John

John,

As owner of Beechbrook.Com when all else fails you can always ask me for assistance. As I only host presentations, my PTE Upload Guidelines are intended for that purpose only. They are not intended to assist with the use of compression software such as Winzip, etc. nor are they intended to give instructions on the use of PicturesToExe itself.

Uploading large files takes time on any system, not just Beechbrook.Com. To recall an earlier comment, it depends on the bandwidth of your own ISP and the upload speed your service provides. The requirement on Beechbrook.Com of uploading only zipped files is a standard policy for many web sites. It's a server policy, and not necessarily anything to do with any particular operating system. In its simpliest form this policy prevents visitors from running an executable file on my server and therefore spreading a potential virus, etc. on the system.

As with all the other wonderful creations on Beechbrook.Com, I will be honored to host your presentation. If you need further assistance with uploading or understanding my PTE Guidelines please email me directly at pte@beechbrook.com. If you still experience difficulties with uploading I have another 'unpublished' upload link which should help. I'm here to assist you, just ask.

Bill

Bill and others,

Thanks you all for your replies.

I fully recognise and appreciate the generosity of Beechbrook.com in providing this resource. I had in fact started out to e-mail you Bill directly but changed my mind thinking it better to put my situation to the general host rather than bother you. Not having uploaded or indeed zipped anything before I thought the forum would be the best approach.

I will have another go over the weekend.

I hope this is not now going to be a big let down, this being my first attempt at going public! In for a penny, in for a pound!

John

p.s. It seems, in referring to my previous post, that I have demonstrated quite publicly how clueless I am in more ways than one, when I don’t even know what day of the weak it is – I now know that today is Saturday and last night was Friday night!

Time travelling is a wonderful thing. At first I thought they had introduced an extra Dateline. Good Luck :lol:

Ron [uK]