WnSoft Forums

Time lapse

Hi

I used PTE to make a timelapse of a Livingston Daisy opening and closing. The images were low resolution as at the time I only had a trial version of the capture software I used. After getting the full version I was eagre to try full resolution time lapse shows. When I tried this today I was unable to get PTE to transition quick enough from image to image, even 1ms looks like 1s. Is it that PTE simply can't change from image to image at that resolution quick enough?

Regards

-Dave-

Dave

welcome to the forum

HAWK [Ralph McDermott P2E] helped me with this yrs ago 2003:)

it was kind of rough but proved we could animate

and over the life of pict to exe there have been many members make animated shows

see the screen shots they may get you going on the right track

on #2 we have no transitions and see the smoothing and ms setting

on # 1 we have display each slide for 400 ms checked

and we were both [ still are ] in the learning curve and you can see the size of the images in #2 -- if you have the system power you should experiment with larger sizes

ken

post-16-1151160242_thumb.jpg

post-16-1151160293_thumb.jpg

After getting the full version I was eagre to try full resolution time lapse shows. When I tried this today I was unable to get PTE to transition quick enough from image to image, even 1ms looks like 1s. Is it that PTE simply can't change from image to image at that resolution quick enough?

Hi, Dave,

Welcome to the Forum!

What version of PTE, and what image resolution are you using?

I have a slideshow, with 1024x768 - pixel images transitioning at 1/10 sec intervals. You have to use the "cut" or "quick" transition at the bottom of the list.

I presume you are using version 4, as version 5 does not allow for fast transitions yet as it is only in beta mode now.

Hi, Dave,

Welcome to the Forum!

What version of PTE, and what image resolution are you using?

I have a slideshow, with 1024x768 - pixel images transitioning at 1/10 sec intervals. You have to use the "cut" or "quick" transition at the bottom of the list.

I presume you are using version 4, as version 5 does not allow for fast transitions yet as it is only in beta mode now.

Hi Al,

There is an excellent "work-around" for this. Rather than place the images in the slidelist, just put them all to the main image as separate layers and adjust the timing between each via the time line. I've been able to get extremely fast sequences - as fast as the system resources will allow - this way.

I would think for a time-lapse sequence such as he is trying to achieve that this would work very well within limits....

Lin

Hi

I used PTE to make a timelapse of a Livingston Daisy opening and closing. The images were low resolution as at the time I only had a trial version of the capture software I used. After getting the full version I was eagre to try full resolution time lapse shows. When I tried this today I was unable to get PTE to transition quick enough from image to image, even 1ms looks like 1s. Is it that PTE simply can't change from image to image at that resolution quick enough?

Regards

-Dave-

Hi Dave,

Actually the new graphical engine in version 5 beta can transition at 30 frames per second. If you haven't installed the version 5 beta yet, you might want to do that but install it in a separate folder from your present version.

How many total images are you using and what is the pixel matrix (horiz by vert pixel count) and the file size in k bytes?

You can put all the images in a single "slide" sequence by using the first as your "main image" then importing the rest into separate layers. Adjust the sequence timing by keypoint times between each and they can be displayed at lightning speed - no problem at all with simple time lapse.

If you would zip up the frames and post a link to them, I'll be glad to put them in the proper sequence and post a link to the p2e zipped files so you can see how to do it with V 5.0 beta 3.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi

Thanks for all the tips. I'm using version 4.43. My time lapse has 122 images each 1.6MB in size and at a resolution of 3072x2304.

This method of using a main image and then having the others as layers sounds good to me though i'm unsure how to designate an image as a layer.

Cheers

-Dave-

Hi Dave,

You can only do it with the Version 5 beta 3. Essentially you add the images through the Objects and Animations tab one under the other with no parent/child relationship. This will probably be too much for even this method because it requires extensive use of the video card and you are looking at 190 megabytes of compressed file load. This would require a 256 meg video card to process and most are not over 128 meg and that's only considering the compressed size (1.6 meg). The real load size of your files is much larger because each expands in memory to its true uncompressed size.

In short, this may not be a viable solution for that many files. If you could resize them to around 1024x768 it might be feasible but if you intend them for a really large display screen that much reduction may not be reasonable.

Best regards,

Lin

My time lapse has 122 images each 1.6MB in size and at a resolution of 3072x2304.

Dave,

These files would be too large even for v. 4.43 at 10 images/second. As Lin suggested, try cutting them down to 1024x768, at a jpeg quality of say 50%. When cycling rapidly through images it is not as necessary for them to be of maximum quality as it is when they are left on screen for longer times.

The new beta 3 version of PTE5 is much more powerful for time lapse. The images are now skipping through at a great rate. Get them down to 1024 x 768 for smooth running. I have added a short time lapse of 766 images taken at Aspen. You will find it here

http://www.richardtucker.plus.com/digiviewextras.htm

I set fade to 0 and time interval to 10ms