WnSoft Forums

PicturesToExe v5.00 beta #8

Igor

Dear Igor!

I used Eye-One Match 3 and Eye-One Display 2 to calibrate my laptop display. Now, when I run executable slideshow created with v.5 latest beta or watch preview, it seems like in the beginning of the slideshow the created monitor profile is discarded and colors are displayed with the some sort of default colors. In the end of the slideshow colors turn back to profile again. It happens just in the last moment before slideshow ends or just before desktop is visible again.

Initially I thought, that it might be related to ATI gamma problem (ATI drivers problem) referred earlier in forum. But lightness does not change. Just colors change. My laptop has ATI Mobility Radeon 9600/9700 series video card.

Then I made test: Removed all profiles from laptop display color managment and run PTE v.5 slideshow - no change in image display during slideshow. Recalibrated display and problem is there - the created profile is not used by PTE. After careful observation, the problem exists also on my desktop with NVidia video card. Color profile is discarded both, on my laptop (ATI) and on desktop (NVidia) while executing PTE 5 slideshow.

Because my desktop monitor without profile is much closer to profiled color, initially I did not notice change. But the change is there in both cases - on laptop and desktop.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, Robert!

I've asked Sergey to fix this bug.

Urmas,

(Sorry, I don't know your name!)

Yes, this problem exists.

Since 2004 drivers for ATI video cards don't support Windows Color Management in fullscreen Direct3D mode that we use for slide shows in v5.00 I read a lot of complaints on the forums. Your calibration software use Windows Color Management system.

I discussed this problem with ATI but they don't want to change anything.

Several days ago I also asked my friend in Microsoft and asked help me find a person with whom I could speak about this problem.

Thanks for reminding, I'll write again to a known person from ATI.

NVIDIA video cards don't have this problem.

There are several ways of solution:

1) Use GDI graphical engine or not exclusive 3D mode for slide shows (both options will be available in the next beta 9 of v5.00).

2) Ask ATI to fully support Windows Color Management as they did earlier (up to 2004).

I'm sorry about this problem, but I don't know what we can do more?

Urmas,

ATI said me that their drivers for Windows Vista will use unified gamma settings for desktop and for DirectX. So there will be no problem with slide shows.

You told, that since 2004 drivers for ATI video cards don't support Windows Color Management in fullscreen Direct3D mode. What happens, when when I downgrade my driver to before-2004-version let's say driver released in 2003? What do I loose and what do I gain?

Urmas

Urmas,

If you don't play 3D games ATI drivers for WinXP up to spring of 2004 should solve this problem , at least you can try.

I tested today Windows Vista RC2 with latest ATI drivers and gamma and brightness/contrast settings unified for desktop and fullscreen slide shows created in v5.00

p.s. according unofficial letter of a person from ATI, they plan to fix this problem with gamma also in Windows XP, but as I understood it will be available when they finished works on drivers for Windows Vista (as their primary goal now).

Urmas,

p.s. according unofficial letter of a person from ATI, they plan to fix this problem with gamma also in Windows XP, but as I understood it will be available when they finished works on drivers for Windows Vista (as their primary goal now).

That would be really nice from them since XP is still quite capable and upgrading to Vista simply because of that would be not very reasonable. At least in the moment.

But I will look at my older drivers as well since I do not use neither my laptop or desktop for 3D games.

Chess, Aero Glass user interface, Media Center - all they in Windows Vista use fullscreen Direct3D mode. And this main reason why ATI realized unified gamma settings for Vista. I think they understood now why it so important.

I agree with you and I hope that ATI will release new XP drivers with unified gamma, too.

I have a three minute show done in Beta#8i. The show needs fairly precise sync to background soundtrack. Using the "Auto spread slides along music" I have then dragged a couple of slides near the end to desired sound points. The Preview runs nicely synced as desired. The .EXE created show also maintains the sync on the several computers I've tried. When I use DVD Builder, the sync is not correct. The "slippage" seems to take place over a period of several slides. But in one instance, the last two slides on the time line do not even show up in the DVD version of the show.

Is this a problem in DVD Builder or is it part of the known, non-complete sync in the PTE Beta?

Thanks Ken. I have re-read your posts. I have been aware that the V5 Beta's don't have full sync capability yet. As the various experiences have been shared, I have not afforded the time to totally resolve what is and what is not at this point. I guess I have been hoping the sync will all be back before I need to learn the "dinkin' around." :) The show in question was actually prepared by a friend and I became involved mainly because he does not have a DVD burner. Since posting my question, I have "adjusted" his .pte file so that the sync now seems consistent in the DVD. (But I have not had the friend confirm whether the sync is really as it should be.)

The other part of my question/comment is whether Igor or Sergay need to be concerned with possible involvement of DVD Video Builder or whether the "problem" is solely in the known unfinished state of Version 5.

PicturesToExe Deluxe v5.00 beta #8R

http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/apr-deluxe_beta.zip (4 MB)

It's a minor update of beta 8:

+ Video Builder: added "Show safe TV zone" option.

--------------------

Igor Kokarev, WnSoft Inc., support@wnsoft.com

Where do we find the "TV safe zone" option? In DVD Video Builder or is it in PTE itself. If it is not in DVD Video Builder, could it be added there?

Prior to Version 5 Beta's, a PTE show meant for TV (dvd) video was "adjusted" to avoid losing part of the photo off the sides of the TV screen. I would do this in Ver 4.48 by Project Options/Screen/%of screen. Depending on the TV, the setting had to be maybe 92%, or 85% etc. Was that correct? Now in V5 Beta #8R, how should we accomplish the same thing? Ultimately, we want the entire photo to be visable on TV as well as on PC. Maybe I have buried myself in all the details of aspect ratios and so forth and have missed/forgotten the basic concept!

BOB

in 4.48 you could see what you were going to lose if you opened the object editor

and clicked tv safe zone box -- top of screen

i forget when that feature was first enabled

but you are correct in saying when the avi feature came out we would set screen to 95-98%

ken

Robert,

This option "... % of a slide to show main images" exists in beta 8. It will work for all new slides and click "Set for existing slides" button to assign this option for current slides.

But it's not a good way, because some TV screens can show whole picture, and all PCs. I have a LCD projector and I disabled overscan to see all picture, because all commercial DVD movies uses all size of DVD picture.

Yoshi,

Welcome to the Forum! :)

Yes, this is possible - In the O/A menu, click on an object in the object list, then right-click on it and select "Order". There you can "Bring to front", "Send to back", "Forward one", and "Back one" to change the order of the objects.

Robert,

This option "... % of a slide to show main images" exists in beta 8. It will work for all new slides and click "Set for existing slides" button to assign this option for current slides.

But it's not a good way, because some TV screens can show whole picture, and all PCs. I have a LCD projector and I disabled overscan to see all picture, because all commercial DVD movies uses all size of DVD picture.

But is the %Screen the only way so that an old TV will show the entire slide? Is there a better way?

If I set %screen for 90% so old TV shows entire slide - Will a new TV be able to "adjust" just as well from the 90% setting as it would from the 100% setting?

Robert,

We can add this feature later, but personally I think that it better to show images on fullscreen, as all commercial movies. Overscan area varies on different TV displays (but not larger that shown in PTE with "Show safe TV zone" option).