WnSoft Forums

Voice-over Recordings

fh1805

I realise that this isn't strictly a PTE subject. But adding voice-over to music and images takes AV work to a new level of complexity. In the attached document I've tried to pass on some of the things I've learned along the way (sometimes learned the hard way - by trial and error!)

Voice_Over_Guide.pdf

• 1 year later...

You didn't mention what application you use to record voice. I haven't figured out how to do that with Audacity, and Windows Vist Sound Recorder only saves as a wma, which Audacity won't read.

Isabel

I realise that this isn't strictly a PTE subject. But adding voice-over to music and images takes AV work to a new level of complexity. In the attached document I've tried to pass on some of the things I've learned along the way (sometimes learned the hard way - by trial and error!)

Voice_Over_Guide.pdf

You didn't mention what application you use to record voice. I haven't figured out how to do that with Audacity, and Windows Vist Sound Recorder only saves as a wma, which Audacity won't read.

Isabel

try this

get your headset /mike on

set adaucity to record what you hear

and press the record button

save as mp3

failing that

set it to mike and try it

ken

Isabel,

I have chosen to record my voice-over away from my computer using a digital sound recorder. I then simply copy the sound file from the sound recorder to my hard drive and then import that into Audacity like any other sound file.

I deliberately omitted any discussion of the technology from my document because different people do their voice recordings using different technology. But the points that I make in that document are independent of any particular technology.

regards,

Peter

The single most important part of sound recording for me these days is cleaning up the sound after it is recorded. Whether that is commentary for an AV or tutorial commentary and from whatever source program. There always seems to be noise present and some of that may be the PC on the floor beside me.

Using the noise reduction options inside the sound editing software makes the biggest difference and perhaps using those options correctly it may be possible to use any reasonable quality microphone.

When I discovered this I had no idea how good it was.

I am embarrassed to say that shortly after I posted that question I did a little more web-surfing and found a tutorial for Audacity that mentioned the Record Button which I apparently overlooked - right there in the middle of buttons I use all the time!

Thanks for the heads up, however.

Isabel

try this

get your headset /mike on

set adaucity to record what you hear

and press the record button

save as mp3

failing that

set it to mike and try it

ken

I've found the noise reduction effect in Audacity to be very primitive and ineffective. I do my sound editing in Sony Vegas Movie Studio. I'm by no means an expert, but when I record sound effects with my Zoom H2 recorder (usually birds outside) I'm able to tone down some of the traffic drone in that program.

If you can prove me wrong about the noise handling in Audacity I'll be happy to learn about it!

Isabel

P.S. Who now knows how to add voiceover to her music tracks but isn't sure she wants to reveal her metropolitan New York accent!

The single most important part of sound recording for me these days is cleaning up the sound after it is recorded. Whether that is commentary for an AV or tutorial commentary and from whatever source program. There always seems to be noise present and some of that may be the PC on the floor beside me.

Using the noise reduction options inside the sound editing software makes the biggest difference and perhaps using those options correctly it may be possible to use any reasonable quality microphone.

When I discovered this I had no idea how good it was.

May not be a bad idea since I usually have a dog whining or cat scratching near me. I have a Zoom H2 digital recorder which ought to do the job. I'll have to lock myself up in a carpeted room and give it a try.

Isabel

Isabel,

I have chosen to record my voice-over away from my computer using a digital sound recorder. I then simply copy the sound file from the sound recorder to my hard drive and then import that into Audacity like any other sound file.

I deliberately omitted any discussion of the technology from my document because different people do their voice recordings using different technology. But the points that I make in that document are independent of any particular technology.

regards,

Peter

Isabel,

I use the Zoom H4 for my sound recordings. I do the voice-over recordings in my study where the computer system resides - but I power down every piece of electrical equipment in that room in order to eliminate unwanted noise. I also have two chiming clocks so I'm familiar with that problem, too. It's just a matter of timing (recording between the hour and half-hour chimes) and doing a re-take if I get caught out.

As for the accent, don't let that put you off. I firmly believe that regional accents are no barrier to successful voice overs. If you have never heard your own voice played back from a recording, be prepared for a big shock! When you hear yourself speak you hear your voice with your entire body - the vibrations of your voice box are transmitted through your body in addition to the sound coming in through your ears. When you listen to a recording being played back, the only sound route is via your ears. That gives your voice a, to you, strange sound.

Have fun!

Peter

I HAVE heard my voice and that's why I am reluctant to narrate a slideshow! :-)

Isabel

Isabel,

I use the Zoom H4 for my sound recordings. I do the voice-over recordings in my study where the computer system resides - but I power down every piece of electrical equipment in that room in order to eliminate unwanted noise. I also have two chiming clocks so I'm familiar with that problem, too. It's just a matter of timing (recording between the hour and half-hour chimes) and doing a re-take if I get caught out.

As for the accent, don't let that put you off. I firmly believe that regional accents are no barrier to successful voice overs. If you have never heard your own voice played back from a recording, be prepared for a big shock! When you hear yourself speak you hear your voice with your entire body - the vibrations of your voice box are transmitted through your body in addition to the sound coming in through your ears. When you listen to a recording being played back, the only sound route is via your ears. That gives your voice a, to you, strange sound.

Have fun!

Peter

On the subject of Voice-overs I think it is time to remind all

of the fantastic bjc 2005 production The Grand Tour

with narration by Brigadier John Huntington-Smithe.

Perhaps bjc or Ken can provide a link for downloading? :rolleyes:

/Lennart :)

thanks for this info. I guess I didn't sign up for email notice of replies!

This will be very helpful as I have lots of wma files!

Isabel

Hi Isabel

You can convert your WMA file to wav or MP3 using Switch Sound file converter. You can download it free from http://download.cnet.com/Switch-Sound-File-Converter/3000-2140_4-10327491.html

Regards

Yachtsman1

I have been asked a number of times about WMA files and why won't they open in Audacity and I wonder if people get hung up on this because when Windows Media Player is used to rip music from a domestic CD, the is automatically converted to a WMA file.

However, if you go into the rip options you can select Mp3 and even the quality you want. Once done all these aggravations of converting files becomes a thing of the past.

Well for me it has

I haven't been using Windows Media Player to rip CD tracks, so I didn't know that!

(A friend was here and ripped so CDs for me using it.)

I use Exact Audio Copy as suggested in the user guide for PTE. STrange thing, though. I have two DVD burners, and EAC will only work with one of them - and that one is also a BluRay burner.

Thanks!

Isabel

I have been asked a number of times about WMA files and why won't they open in Audacity and I wonder if people get hung up on this because when Windows Media Player is used to rip music from a domestic CD, the is automatically converted to a WMA file.

However, if you go into the rip options you can select Mp3 and even the quality you want. Once done all these aggravations of converting files becomes a thing of the past.

Well for me it has