WnSoft Forums

New You Tube format

Ian

For those using You Tube, the aspect ratio of the player has now been changed to 16:9 instead of 4:3. Anything new that you upload can be prepared in this format. Existing videos haven't been changed though, so now play back with a black border. Unfortunately even if an existing video is in wide-screen format, it still plays back in a small window inside the new frame, unless You Tube are working on converting them.

Igor - would it be possible to tweak the You Tube uploader to cater for this change and also to give a hi-res option? Videos uploaded in hi-res give the viewer the choice of watching in standard or high quality. Users also have the option of configuring You Tube to always play in high quality if available.

Ian

I don't get it... the Youtube url they link to,

, is not 720p. Am I missing something?

Ken,

It "works" for me too in that I can see the video. Does it display at 1280x720 pixels for you? It doesn't for me.

RAY

the hi def is mp4 75.3 mb

1280/720 - 16:9

30,000 fps

the hi def defintely sharp :)

ken

Ken, I'm not disputing that it's sharp... the high quality version at the url is sharp for me too - and much sharper than the low quality version. And the original .mp4 file may well be 1280x720. (Is there some Youtube hack I don't know about to confirm this?) But when I click on the link, and maximize my browser to my monitor resolution (1920x1080), the embedded video is nowhere close to 1280x720 pixels. What am I doing wrong? If you look on the right hand side, it actually says "<object width="425" height="344">..." Why would Youtube intentionally embed it this small if the source is 1280x720? That's just a waste of bandwidth that they have to pay for and, judging by the 13 million views (granted not all would have been in high quality mode), this is one of the most popular videos on Youtube.

If you follow the link to his web site and then the downloadable "HD" versions, the file Dancing2008_TV.mov is 720x486, 30 progressive fps.

Can you post a screendump of what it looks like in your browser as I must be doing something wrong!

Thanks

Ray i extracted the file out of my tmp int folder and read the data off the properties

took quite a bit of time to download the large file

if you let it download to completion and you have not emptied your cache they should still be there

i could upload the file to medifire if necessary

ken

Ken,

I recovered it from my tmp int folder and, yes, it is 1280x720, 30 progressive fps.

I can't believe that Youtube is killing themselves by embedding it at a lower resolution. It's almost like their tech. people don't understand the basics of video - and how weird and ironic would that be for a company like Youtube?

Anyway, you should probably kill that upload as I'm sure his sponsors claim copyright to the video.

Thanks for following up on my posts in this thread.

Ray