WnSoft Forums

PicturesToExe Deluxe 5.6.1 Beta

Igor

We've prepared updated version 5.6.1 to fix several problems. It is beta version, but I hope it should not bring new problems and will be posted as final v5.6.1 in two days:

http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/picturestoexe-setup_beta.zip

* Fixed problem with uploading of slideshows to YouTube

* Fixed bug of v5.6 when mouse cursor didn't change its view when cursor was placed over an object with action (Text, Image, Rectangle).

* Fixed problem with "Run Application" action of object under Windows Vista. Sometimes window of started application was hidden behind the slideshow window.

* Fixed problem with "Wait for a key press" option and objects with actions.

+ Minor changes.

Igor,

I have hit the following problem during install, see attached image file.

post-4886-1235566228_thumb.jpg

I tried Retry once and then chose Ignore when the Retry gave the same problem.

During the install process I changed the two references to "5.6" (for Program Files folder name and Start Menu folder name) to be "5.6.1" so that this beta code did not over-write my working copy of v5.6. I also disabled the File Association tick boxes.

regards,

Peter

Igor,

I built a test set of sequences to check out what happens with a menu driven set of sequences using "Run Slideshow with Return" and discovered that, although both v5.6 and v5.6.1 support this feature, it is not possible to mix sequences built using the two versions.

I can accept that you needed to prevent us mixing sequences built using v5.6 with those built using earlier versions of PTE because the earlier versions didn't support the new options of "Run Slideshow" and "Run Slideshow with Return". But now that v5.6 and v5.6.1 both support these functions, it would be a nice touch if we could mix sequences built using these and future releases in the menu-driven set. The only alternative is that we have to pass all the v5.6 sequences through the Create process of v5.6.1. To me this seems an unnecessary restriction on the user.

regards,

Peter

Peter,

I have hit the following problem during install, see attached image file.

Probably your antivirus prohibits copying of SetupVideoInet.exe file (module for YouTube/Vimeo)? Could you let me know what antivirus you use? I think same issue should occur and in v5.6 on your PC. Please try install previous v5.6 again. I have to explore this problem.

Is there a reason why the mouse pointer doesn't change to the "pointing finger" when it is hovered over a Button?

Like in previous versions. Mouse cursor changes its view only for Hyperlinks, Images and Rectangles with action.

Hi Igor,

Thanks for the prompt response.

Could you let me know what antivirus you use?

I use Norton Internet Security 2009.

I think same issue should occur in v5.6 on your PC. Please try install previous v5.6 again.

I am reluctant to uninstall a good, working copy of PTE v5.6 and risk having a fault when I try and re-install it. Is this problem likely to be specific to just Windows Vista? If not, I'll try installing v5.6.1 on my XP system (which also uses Norton Internet Security 2009) and which is still at v5.52 of PTE (I think)

Like in previous versions. Mouse cursor changes its view only for Hyperlinks, Images and Rectangles with action.

OK, I understand and accept that.

regards,

Peter

Igor,

Further to my previous post (#6 above), I can confirm that the program, SetupVideoInet.exe, is present in: C:\Program Files\WnSoft PicturesToExe\5.6\VideoBuilder

As far as I can tell, this is the only file that has failed to install cleanly in the v5.6.1 installation.

regards,

Peter

Peter,

Please try again re-install v5.6.1 to same folder over already installed v5.6.1. Will that error occur again?

If problem happens again, please run installation of v5.6 over installed copy (5.6 folder). Re-installation (not clear installation after uninstallation) does not change any settings.

Please don't run uninstallation of v5.6.1 because it uses settings/parameters of v5.6 (in Documents & Settings folder) and will uninstall it.

Thanks in advance!

I'll reply tomorrow regarding "Run Slideshow" commands. I need time to think.

Hi Igor,

I've run the re-install of v5.6.1 over the top of previous v5.6.1; into the same folders that I used for the previous install - and got the same error. Whilst reading the error message to make sure it was the same, I spotted out of the corner of my eye a Norton Anti-Virus pop-up window fading away over the system tray. It had faded too far for me to note any details, sorry!

I then ran the v5.60 install over the top of existing v5.60. No errors!

I then re-ran the v5.6.1 install over the top of the existing v5.6.1 and watched carefully for the Norton pop-up. It was reporting an auto-protect block of "Suspicious: MH690.A" (a "false positive"?)

regards,

Peter

Thanks, Peter!

I've understood reason of this problem now. Yes, it is false positive. It already happened when we released v5.60 and Norton has fixed this issue. This antivirus does not like that a program has EXE file with name which contains word "setup". So it seems useless contact them again. We have to change name of this EXE file to fully prevent appearing of this false positive.

Igor,

Does this version fix the problem with Objects and Animation of text objects that I reported a few days ago under the 5.6 thread?

Peter,

I built a test set of sequences to check out what happens with a menu driven set of sequences using "Run Slideshow with Return" and discovered that, although both v5.6 and v5.6.1 support this feature, it is not possible to mix sequences built using the two versions.

I can accept that you needed to prevent us mixing sequences built using v5.6 with those built using earlier versions of PTE because the earlier versions didn't support the new options of "Run Slideshow" and "Run Slideshow with Return". But now that v5.6 and v5.6.1 both support these functions, it would be a nice touch if we could mix sequences built using these and future releases in the menu-driven set. The only alternative is that we have to pass all the v5.6 sequences through the Create process of v5.6.1. To me this seems an unnecessary restriction on the user.

It necessary because when first sequence calls the second sequence (using "Run Slideshow" command) first slideshow's engine is still working and plays slideshow from second sequence.

It is critically important to have:

- Same version of .pte project files.

- Same slideshow's engine (features, bug-fixes).

For example, in v5.6.1 we've fixed the bug with mouse cursor and the bug with "Wait for key press". And if allow "Run slideshow" command between v5.6.0 and v5.6.1 slideshows we will have unexpected behaviour.

Here is the problem and regrettably I don't know better solution.

We think about releasing some kind of WnSoft Player which could play any version of EXE file of slideshow. But this solution doesn't cover current issue.

I promissed add special tool which will help quickly re-build all linked EXE slideshows. Probably it will become good solution?

Igor,

Your explanation makes clear why things are as they are, thank you for taking the time to explain in such detail.

Your suggestion of a "tool" of some kind seems to be a sensible approach to this problem. I can see that you will be able to identify all the EXE files called from a menu sequence's .pte file. Presumably, you would then have to display those filenames as a list so that the user could browse to the folder where each .pte file was to be found. You will not be able to assume that all .exe files are in the same folder as their .pte files. You would also need to allow the user to nominate where each newly created .exe file should be saved (again, you couldn't assume that the user wanted the old ones over-writing or that they wanted the exe files in the same folder as the .pte files).

It isn't going to be a simple job for you and your team. Perhaps it should be offered as a stand-alone program at first, so as not to hold up any other developments in PTE. Whatever solution you decide to adopt, good luck with it!

regards,

Peter

I have been following this thread very closely because I can identify with most of the problems discussed.

I think that I understand the answers given by Igor and hope that a solution to all problems will be avialable

as quickly as possible.

Our thanks are due to Peter for his detailed description of the problems he has found. We all benefit from this

of thread, though I fear that it may confuse some of the newer forum members.

Thank you Peter for your time and effort.

Ron

Ron,

Thanks for those kind words.

Just to clarify matters for any newer forum members who are unclear as to what has been discussed above:

The majority of the dialogue between Igor and myself has been about a problem where Norton Internet Security 2009 has falsely detected a suspicious event. This problem will be encountered only by anyone installing the current v5.6.1beta code and who uses Norton Internet Security 2009. Igor has inddicated that he understands the issue, that Symantec will not relax their test condition (and I agree with this stance by Symantec) and that he (Igor) will develop an alternative technique.

Posts #4, #13 and #14 were discussing the situation as it would affect anyone who builds a menu sequence from which they launch other sequences using either the "Run Slideshow" feature or the "Run Slideshow with Return" feature. The nature of this feature means that all sequences involved in that menu group have to be created at the same PTE version level.

This is going to mean that users of launch menus will have to ensure they retain their project files for all their sequences, so that they can, if they need to, pass each project through Create processing whenever a new version of PTE is released.

regards,

Peter

Igor,

I've just seen some discussion on one of the French PTE User forums about a bug in v5.6

If you use the Properties tab of O&A to change the main image file, the Object name in the Objects List below that tab does not get updated to reflect this new file name. It does get updated if you change any other object item. The Object name did update correctly in v5.52.

regards,

Peter

... If you use the Properties tab of O&A to change the main image file, the Object name in the Objects List below that tab does not get updated to reflect this new file name....

Peter,

My observation is the following (5.6 and 5.5): The name in the objects list will change in case of an image replacement, if the object's name (also given in the name field - Common tab) still coincides with the name of the image file. If the name field contains a modified name, PTE will keep it.

Regards,

Xaver

Peter/Xaver,

I do not get this result. In Version 5.6, if I add a slide called say Slide 01, then go into O&A window for that slide and change the slide to another using the "Properties" tab say Sldie 02, then O&A objects list shows Slide 02. Going back to the sldie list, you have to click on the slide to refresh the name to the new name Slide 02.

Jeff

PS : I just realised that I have posted this under the 5.61 topic. My tests were with 5.6, not 5.61. sorry

My apologies. My understanding of the discussion in French was wrong. The issue is that, if the main image is changed using the "Change Image File" icon, then the Object Name for this image object in the Object List in the O&A window is not updated to reflect the change of file.

regards,

Peter

...The issue is that, if the main image is changed using the "Change Image File" icon, then the Object Name for this image object in the Object List in the O&A window is not updated to reflect the change of file...

I've made the same observation with 5.60, 5.52, and 5.11.

Regards,

Xaver

...The issue is that, if the main image is changed using the "Change Image File" icon, then the Object Name for this image object in the Object List in the O&A window is not updated to reflect the change of file...

I personally find this as normal behavior ... unless Im not understanding the issue.

The image object container name is a common named setting when initially made or to whatever ever I should like to rename the image container. If I change or replace the image file content within the image object container ... I would not necessarily like the container to be renamed again to match the replaced image file. I believe Igor provided this by design and is not necessarily a bug.

Stu,

I understand what you are saying; but the default name giving to an image object when added via the Slide List, Timeline or O&A window is its file name stripped of the file extension. This leads me and others to assume that the Object name for an image will always be the image file name stripped of the extension - because this is our observed behaviour of PTE.

I can accept there may be times when some people do not want PTE to work this way - but some do. I would have thought it wouldn't be a difficult task to provide a Project Options switch that allows us to control PTE and not have to work in the manner that PTE wants to force upon us.

I don't want to force upon other people a change in the way PTE behaves, I just want to be able to control it so that, for me it behaves as I want it to and for you it behaves as you want it to.

Just another "tick box" in Project Options, that's all that is needed (plus the code to support both ways of working, of course!)

regards,

Peter

Peter,

because this is our observed behaviour of PTE

Yes I agree. There is however ... still inconsistent behaviour as it relates to adding additional image objects. Adding additional image objects does follow the rename image ... where as the main image does not. So I see the confusion it adds to users expectations. Which rename pattern is working correctly is the question I have.

I normally rename the common named setting to my own names so as to relate to the images sequence of events as used in the selected slide O&A timeline.

I use such common names as Main Image for the main slide and Image Object1 and so forth for additional images. This way I can quickly see and always know the next expected timeline appearance of each object no matter its layer position. This is especially useful for me when I make and use templates for other needs. When the common name gets replaced it interupts my workflow habits. :huh:

So we need at least a consistency among all objects in this area ... not different for some.

I have come to this thread a little late but, because it is relevant to something I am doing in a current project, I have checked it out.

The current behaviour seems perfectly normal.

There are two scenarios:

Firstly if the Common "Name" is not changed and the Image is changed using the Properties Tab then then changes are reflected in the O&A Window Objects List.

However, if the Common Name is changed to the users preference (say Object 1 etc) then changing the image in the Properties Tab has no effect on the O&A Window Objects List. "Object 1" will always be Object 1 even if the Image related to it has been changed.

It seems to me that if the Common "Name" is changed to, perhaps, "Label" it would make more sense?

DaveG