WnSoft Forums

Another little mask demo

potwnc

This is another demo of something that works fine in 5.5 but works much better in 5.6 - at least for me because I work in High Definition.

Many PTE users have probably created something based on Lin Evans' "route demo" and, of course, it works just fine in PTE 5.5. But with masks it is even easier and the file sizes are much smaller - especially for HD output.

This is another 9-second video (also about 1MB like the last one I did) that extracts to a .mp4 file in DVD quality. In this sequence we zoom into a detailed map of Southeast Asia and, as we do, the Mekong River flows from its source to its delta.

The end result is exactly the same in 5.6 as it is in 5.5 but because this version is done with a mask the size of the file that "acts" as the mask is reduced by 95%! If you work in HD that places much less stress on PTE and your PC to produce the output for the final .exe file to run (if you produce .exe files).

If anyone is interested I can upload a lower-quality version of the project file that shows how to do this with masks.

Credit goes to Al Robinson for the original idea - I just got it to work with masks.

Ray

www.peoplesoftheworld.org/demos/maskdemo2.zip

This may be a stupid question but what software do you use to play your mp4 demos. I only have Windows Media Player and Real Player on my PC, Windows Media Player tells me it cannot play your demo, Real Player says it is playing but does nothing.

Tony

This is another demo of something that works fine in 5.5 but works much better in 5.6 - at least for me because I work in High Definition.

Ray

www.peoplesoftheworld.org/demos/maskdemo2.zip

This zip only seems to download an audio file - where is the video please?

Ron West

This zip only seems to download an audio file - where is the video please?

Ron West

Ron,

It contains a .mp4 file, which plays the video (there is no audio) if you have a compatible player - e.g. VLC Media Player or Media Player Classic HomeCinema.

Ray, I have not even viewed yet your latest, but am downloading now. I would be very interested in your project file that would "teach" how to do this with masks "ease".

OK I'll upload it in the next few days.

The files for this are now at www.peoplesoftheworld.org/demos/maskdemo2project.zip

Let me know if you have any questions.

potwnc, that's a good use of mask.

What you could have done is to put all your objects (map, mask and route) in a PTE frame and apply pan/zoom/rotate to this frame instead of applying individually the PZR to each object separately.

Just a suggestion to this idea for which the creator is actually Al Robinson. :)

That's what I did to your project attached.

I hope you don't mind.

mask_demo2_Mar14_2009_18_29_03.zip

That's what I did to your project attached.

I hope you don't mind.

Of course I don't mind... we're all here to learn, including me, and that's a better way to do this for this example. (But I don't know why you would rotate this?)

Ray

Hi everyone,

I believe this is a bit too fast and easy to use only one moving screen...without changing its direction as the direction of the route changes. I think you have to use more than one screen to achieve a real progression.

See below what you see (i.e. position 5672 !)

Henri

post-2551-1237107541_thumb.jpg

Henri,

I agree with you. This was just an example to get people started if they want to do a route using masks.

Ray