WnSoft Forums

Childs Jigsaw Quiz

Ronniebootwest

I know that a good many of you had success with my previous tutorials and I am just about finished with a new one. It is called 'A Childs Jigsaw Quiz' and uses a jigsaw photoshop action made by Panos. This action can be downloaded from his web Site Here:

I found that I needed a lot of time to create this puzzle but I learned an awful lot along the way.

I would now like to have a few members do a test drive for me (much the same as you did before) but before you volunteer, be aware that it might take you a while to go throught the whole process. Not that it is difficult, just a bit time consuming. The end result is worth the learning curve though.

Email me if you would like to see the beta pdf file.

I will upload a quick demo slide show to my website later on so you can see the end result.

Ron

UPDATE:

I have now uploaded the FULL slide show.

You will find it on the 'Download' page on my web Site (see below)

The whole tutorial is based on Photoshop and I am not sure if any other 'Photo Editor' will be up to the job. I am sure that other members might well want to comment on this also, it just maybe possible to adapt the tutorial but not the photoshop action.

Sorry!

There have been no volunteers yet! :angry:

I have will post the full version of the slide show on my Web Site later on today, maybe that will inspire some re-action :D

You ought to be a BROADBAND user before attempting the download though.

Ron

UPDATE:

I have now uploaded the demo slide show.

You will find it on the 'Download' page on my web Site (see below)

Ron, I have several comments.

1) This is a very clever idea. Kids will love it! :D

2) I ran the .exe on a very slow, old laptop, and haven't had the opportunity yet to try it on my home PC. The transitions, when they showed, were very jerky and in some cases, non-existent. I am very willing to blame it on the laptop. However, it prompted me to think about if there is a way to slow down (or speed up) the "coming together" of the pieces. It was rather fast on my machine (even though it was jerky) and I wasn't able to see much of the pieces before it all came together. I'm thinking like the customer here, not the builder. I can imagine wanting it very slow to give most children (and some adults ;) ) time to process the individual pieces.

3) Great pictures. I'm sure most US children would miss many of the pictures, like "pub", "cottage", and even "bus". :lol:

4) I won't have a chance for a couple of weeks to try the tutorial, but I'll give it a try when I can. Thanks for continuing to build these for us!

Hello David,

Thanks for the feedback! Let's wait until you have had a chance to play it on your main computer - I feel sure that the animation will work as smooth as silk then.

As for slowing down the pieces coming together, of course there is a way to slow it all down but that will depend on the person building the slide show. Remember that what you downloaded from my site is just a demo, the idea is that you build your own quiz, using your own photographs.

I would be very interested in seeing another quiz slide show built by someone else - maybe even one of you American guys! :D

Ron

I ran the .exe on a very slow, old laptop, and haven't had the opportunity yet to try it on my home PC. The transitions, when they showed, were very jerky and in some cases, non-existent. I am very willing to blame it on the laptop. However, it prompted me to think about if there is a way to slow down (or speed up) the "coming together" of the pieces. It was rather fast on my machine (even though it was jerky) and I wasn't able to see much of the pieces before it all came together. I'm thinking like the customer here, not the builder. I can imagine wanting it very slow to give most children (and some adults ) time to process the individual pieces.

David,

since you posted these comments, loads of people have downloaded the show from my web site (my poor bandwidth allocation is going through the roof <_< ). A good many folk agree with you and have asked if the animation can be 'slowed down' so the the pieces move onto the screen more slowly.

The answer is YES! and I have now written the changes into the pdf tutorial.

I have also uploaded the puzzle, after having made the above changes, now the whole thing is much slower. Please let me know if it is better now.

Find it on the 'Download' page of My Webpage

Guest Techman1

Ronnie,

Hello! Hey, I scored a "3" is that good? :blink: ...... I got the "pub question" correct for sure! :D

I like the idea here. In fact, once the "Add a Button" feature is enabled in Objects and Animation, you could give the kids a multiple choice option and when they select the correct one it brings up the add points screen and then proceeds to the next slide.

You might want the original photo to show through after the puzzle animation (without the puzzle pieces). It might help a "little one" see the image completely.

Both of the above would cause you more work, but it might make it a better product (maybe not worth the extra effort though).

Another question, so a RAV4 isn't a car? If not, what is it then? :huh:

Again, GREAT idea. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Take care,

Fred

Hello! Hey, I scored a "3" is that good? ...... I got the "pub question" correct for sure!

Only 3 eh! shame on you Fred. I am surprised you got the pub - most thought it was a restaurant.

I like the idea here. In fact, once the "Add a Button" feature is enabled in Objects and Animation, you could give the kids a multiple choice option and when they select the correct one it brings up the add points screen and then proceeds to the next slide.

Thanks for this suggestion, I will certainly want to add this feature. I had not realised that it existed!

It will most certainly add to this quiz game - let me know when it is available and how it works please.

You might want the original photo to show through after the puzzle animation (without the puzzle pieces). It might help a "little one" see the image completely.

Fred, you are amazing! I will hire you as my beta tester for the future because this suggestion is spot on.

I will add it to the slide show with immediate affect.

Thankyou very much for all these 3 suggestions - very constructive!

Ron

UPDATE as at 10.15pm on 29th Sept 2006

I have uploaded a revised slide show to my web site, incorporating the suggestions that Techman made above.

He is right! it does look a lot better now.

Download it from the download page Here