WnSoft Forums

WEB PAGE AND FLASH

Ken Cox

just a fyi to you guys

http://www.google.ca/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=flash+64+bit+windows+7&meta=lr%3D&aq=8&oq=FLASH+%2B+64

WHILE GETTING
WIFE'S
LAPTOP GOING WE DISCOVERED A PROBLEM WITH IE 8 AND 64 BIT VISTA
THIS ALSO APPARENT WITH WINDOWS 7
APPARENTLY ADOBE HAVE NOT GOT A WORKING COPY OF 64 BIT FLASH
THEREFORE IF YOU HAVE A 64 BIT SYSTEM RUNNING IE 7 AND UP, AND WENT TO A PAGE THAT IS FLASH DRIVEN OR HAS A FLV EMBEDDED IN IT YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE IT UNLESS YOU OPEN IE IN 32 BIT MODE WHICH CAN BE DONE
IF YOU READ THRU THE GOOGLE SEARCH YOU SEE WHAT I AM TELLING YOU
APPARENTLY FIREFOX IS ONLY 32 BIT AND MAY NOT BE AFFECTED
QUESTION OF THE DAY -- HOW LONG HAS 64 BIT BEEN AROUND AND WHAT HAVE ADOBE BEEN DOING??
KEN
BTW sorry for all caps
:)

Ken,

Thanks for posting this information.

I am a little concerned about this because, as you know, I have been working on a new gallery of 'Flash' slide shows for my own Web site.

If people with 64 bit machines are unable to view flash files, then I have a problem.

I therefore need to determine how many other formum members are having difficulty in seeing my new flash shows.

So, can I ask anyone reading this thread to visit my site My web site and try viewing the slide shows.

I would appreciate some feedback on whether you are able to see the shows or not.

As an after thought, I wonder how many of you are currently using a 64 bit system?

Thanks for your assistance.

Ron

Ken,

This is only a problem if you use a 64-bit browser. If you use the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer or any current version of Firefox (with of course, the Flashplayer plugin), then you will have no problem accessing flash driven sites at all.

Adobe are working on a 64-bit version but unfortunately only insiders at Adobe know just how far away this is from release. In the meantime just use 32-bit IE or Firefox - they both work on a 64-bit version of Windows (and I have been using XP x64, Vista x64 and now Win & x64 for quite a few years now) :)

PS.

I fail to see the need for a 64-bit browser anyway - it's not like you need access to vast amounts of memory when browsing the internet :huh:

Ken,

This is only a problem if you use a 64-bit browser. If you use the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer or any current version of Firefox (with of course, the Flashplayer plugin), then you will have no problem accessing flash driven sites at all.

Adobe are working on a 64-bit version but unfortunately only insiders at Adobe know just how far away this is from release. In the meantime just use 32-bit IE or Firefox - they both work on a 64-bit version of Windows (and I have been using XP x64, Vista x64 and now Win & x64 for quite a few years now) smile.gif

PS.

I fail to see the need for a 64-bit browser anyway - it's not like you need access to vast amounts of memory when browsing the internet huh.gif

well

the laptop came set up for 64 bit so why not use it?

and 64 bit has been around since xp so where were adobe -- buying another company?

the current new systems are 64 bit so they better haul it

i posted the facts as i found them for everybody's benefit - i only found them out by going to a site to show my tech man the beautiful stuff that was being shown and could not see them until we switched to 32 bit

why are they selling 64 bit -- just to suck in the consumer?

my tech told me it is only the beginning of a major revamp of operation systems -- a new way of writing code is in the works cool.gif

ken

Most programs (discounting operating systems) are still 32-bit Ken, the main exception actually coming from the Adobe stable in the form of Photoshop CS4 x64 - indeed Pictures to Exe is still 32-bit and I doubt if Igor is working on a 64-bit version yet ;).

Unless (and/or until, programs need access to large amounts of memory), most software companies will not be investing the large amounts of cash required in rewriting their software in 64-bit code. Even Microsoft Office is still only available as 32-bit coded software, despite the billions which MS has at its disposal and their current drive to move their OS's onto the 64-bit platform.

Look at the reluctance of camera manufacturers to provide their users with their OEM image processing software in 64-bit code - and it's photographers who really need to work with native 64-bit programs due to the size of the files they are using (Nikon and Canon being amongst the biggest culprits). IE 64-bit is purely hype, it really isn't needed as a 64-bit application, it doesn't gain anything from being 64-bit over its 32-bit sibling, MS would have been better spending the money on providing a more secure version of the 32-bit version IMHO.

Most programs (discounting operating systems) are still 32-bit Ken, the main exception actually coming from the Adobe stable in the form of Photoshop CS4 x64 - indeed Pictures to Exe is still 32-bit and I doubt if Igor is working on a 64-bit version yet ;).

Unless (and/or until, programs need access to large amounts of memory), most software companies will not be investing the large amounts of cash required in rewriting their software in 64-bit code. Even Microsoft Office is still only available as 32-bit coded software, despite the billions which MS has at its disposal and their current drive to move their OS's onto the 64-bit platform.

Look at the reluctance of camera manufacturers to provide their users with their OEM image processing software in 64-bit code - and it's photographers who really need to work with native 64-bit programs due to the size of the files they are using (Nikon and Canon being amongst the biggest culprits). IE 64-bit is purely hype, it really isn't needed as a 64-bit application, it doesn't gain anything from being 64-bit over its 32-bit sibling, MS would have been better spending the money on providing a more secure version of the 32-bit version IMHO.

Carol & All,

Carol I completely agree with your comments because as you say..."64 Bit is Hyped out"...and not

for the benefit of the average PC Owner but rather to try and catch up with the "Apple Solid-State"

Hard-Drives which are magnitudes faster that the current Microsoft-Architecture relying on mechanical

Hard-Drives. For other 'Readers' the only advantage of the 64-Bit.Sys is that it takes the load of

the Microprocessor(s) so reducing heat and stress and the cost of dissipation of same. The other

advantage is that the 64-Bit.Sys can handle a large Program in "1-Chunk" whereas the 32-Bit.Sys

has to split that Program into numerous 'chunks' then process it. On first assumptions it would appear

as if the 64-Bit.Sys is faster but in the final analysis that speed is compromised by the peripheral

Hardware which produces the Image/Sound Files which you see and hear on your Monitor/Sound-System.

However the cost of this 'marginal-advantage' when processing really large Files is horrific.....

The 64-Bit.Sys needs (4x the Sq/Root.2) thats minimum of 5.65 times the current RAM Memory of a 32-Bit

XP-Sytem in order to restore it's original functionality when its now running a 64-Bit Op.System. The whole

design ethos of the 64-Bit.Sys is to transfer the 'load' to user RAM Memory and take the load away from

the 'uP-Cache Memory' because they can't make that larger without escalating the costs of Microprocessors.

That would entail the design of a new 'uP.Package' and New-Motherboards.

So if your XP.Sp3 uses 2.Gb of Memory and you upgrade it to the 64-Bit.Sys ~ now you will need at least

10.Gb of RAM Memory to handle those 'occassional' large Files including DVD's and Streaming-Film Media.

Carol, I notice that the specs of your excellent PC-System follows the maths shown above and may I say

again how right you really are ~ I only hope others take note of your comments !!

Best regards,

Brian.(Conflow)

Carol & All,

Carol I completely agree with your comments because as you say..."64 Bit is Hyped out"...and not

for the benefit of the average PC Owner

Brian.(Conflow)

Not sure I actually said that Brian ;) - what I did say was that IE x64 was hype and was pretty irrelevant as folk don't need access to large chunks of memory when accessing the Internet :). Most users, who might be on the borderline with 4Gb of RAM (between choosing Win7 x32 or Win7 x64) would find that there is not a huge difference when using a program such as Photoshop CS4 x64 in a 64-bit OS and when using Photoshop CS4 x32 in a 32-bit OS - when using ordinary sized files. However, when dealing with large images there is a huge advantage in the OS and the 64-bit program being able to address significantly more RAM, especially when applying changes of most types in Photoshop as the whole file can be in the memory at once and it doesn't have to drip feed bits in and out to render the changes.

Not sure I actually said that Brian ;) - what I did say was that IE x64 was hype and was pretty irrelevant as folk don't need access to large chunks of memory when accessing the Internet :). Most users, who might be on the borderline with 4Gb of RAM (between choosing Win7 x32 or Win7 x64) would find that there is not a huge difference when using a program such as Photoshop CS4 x64 in a 64-bit OS and when using Photoshop CS4 x32 in a 32-bit OS - when using ordinary sized files. However, when dealing with large images there is a huge advantage in the OS and the 64-bit program being able to address significantly more RAM, especially when applying changes of most types in Photoshop as the whole file can be in the memory at once and it doesn't have to drip feed bits in and out to render the changes.

Hi Carol,

I have no arguement with the above as I had written..."The other advantage is that the 64-Bit.Sys can handle a large Program in "1-Chunk" whereas the 32-Bit.Sys has to split that Program into numerous 'chunks' then process it"..unquote. Looks as if we are singing off the same Hymn-sheet and I only hope those who are thinking of moving over to a 64-Bit.Sys fully realise the implications involved.

Brian. (Conflow)