WnSoft Forums

New 3D fractal show

starfish

The 3D fractals were done with a program called XenoDream.

Hi, Sharon,

Those images are beautiful - just like your other work, including your watercolour show. And I'm sure there is much more involved than simply running the program.

The 3-D images are different than I was expecting. Do you "point" them in certain directions when you start them up, in order to achieve the effect you want? Is it possible to create fancy fonts in this manner, too?

This reminds me, I once saw a whole slide show of back-lit frost patterns on a window - very effective!

Al,

Thank you.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "point" the fractals, but 3D fractal generation is very different from 2D fractals.

The pictures for the slideshow were done with XenoDream, which uses a "building block" called a holon. By combining holons and adjusting depth, skew, tilt, etc. etc. etc. you create the picture. You can port in background images and layer the effects.

The program is very good, but it has a rather steep learning curve. It's well worth it, though. XenoDream has a 3D lighting engine that can also light 2D images including photos. You can get some very interesting effects that way.

As far as I know, there is no way to create fractal 3D fonts.

Sharon

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "point" the fractals...

Sharon,

Although I've never played with fractals, except very elementary ones on my old Amiga pc, I have a rough idea as to how they work, mathematically speaking.

I guess by "point" I meant "direct", or "control". There must be something you do first in order to end up with the effect you want. Some of those 3D fractals bear quite a resemblance to "real-life" objects, imagined or otherwise.