WnSoft Forums

Adobe Audition

HaroldB

I took delivery of Audition only this week mainly to get the programme on CD. Whilst I cannot report on its full function, I can at least say that it is fully compatible with my previous CoolEdit+Studio and that no extra learning was needed to continue the recordings with voice over on which I had been working. One feature I did come across, which I think was not on CoolEdit (the basic version), was File>Extract Audio from CD. That was excellent, easy and quicker. It saved to *.wav. In the boxed version it also comes with a printed manual, which I have yet to explore.

Ron [uK]

Harold,

I have been using Audition for about a month now and am very pleased with it - was it worth the extra dollars? I think so, but only time will tell. The list price of Audition is $299 US, but the upgrade from Cool Edit 2000 and CEP 1.x is still available for $99.

I believe Audition is identical to Cool Edit Pro 2.x, so is perfectly compatible with Cool Edit 2000.

I like the extra levels (128) in the mixer view, the CD ripping capability, and the extra special effects and noise-reduction capabilities (although I have had only limited success with applying the latter - a lot of experimenting is necessary to get it right.) All the effects are visible, too, in a handy expandable menu along the left-hand side.

It also allows one to import a MIDI file into the multi-track section, view it as a "piano-roll", and also play it along with other wave files. I have already used this feature in lining up a wave file to play along with a MIDI file. It is not possible to mix the two together, however.

Of course most if not all of the special effects and noise reduction capabilities were available in Cool Edit as plug-ins (for an extra price of course).

The most useful features are exactly the same as in Cool Edit 2000 (the fantastic user interface, the smooth scrolling, ease of selection of portions to edit, handy zooming in and out, etc.) I am in the process of using it now to touch up some vocal music, something which can be very tricky and easy to over-do! I find the ease of use of Audition (and Cool Edit) really pays off in terms of time saved in projects like this where you are constantly flipping back and forth from detailed to expanded view, using multiple levels of "undo", cutting and pasting, etc.

I guess the most significant reason to upgrade, apart from the additional features mentioned, is to be able to get in on future upgrades without having to pay the full price.

If you give me your email address, I'll send you some screen captures.