WnSoft Forums

Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit?

mashamit

G'day Nick welcome to the world of PTE AVs and the user forum, you will find lots of friendly help and advice here.

This forum is a great source for advice, guidance and ideas. The sense of community here helps make working with PTE more creative and pleasurable.

On the 8th of January I purchased a new PC loaded with Win7 Pro 64bit OS and shortly after loaded the latest version of PTE on it. From then till now I have spent approx. 10 hours working with PTE and have had no problems, so far so good. I have not used the O&A area in any depth but all else has been fine.

The link Ken gave you is useful and shows a small handful of users are having problems somewhere in the Win7-PTE-?? area. I suspect there is a large number of users who like me are not. It would be useful for users like you and perhaps for the developers to know how many PTE users are running PTE on Win7 without problems. Maybe the moderators should consider a poll here along those lines.

Hi Nick

I bought a replacement PC about 2 months ago with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and spent a lot of time in the first few weeks of ownership working on a PTE 6 project. Did not encounter any problems and it works a lot better than the Vista Ultimate 32 bit I have on my other PC.

One of the advantages of 64 bit is that it will access more than 4GB of memory but you may find that some of your older software and hardware will not run on 64 bit. There are numerous articles on the subject on the web if you put into a search engine something like "Comparison Windows 7 64 bit 32 bit"

Hope this helps

Tony

Hi Nick

I bought a replacement PC about 2 months ago with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and spent a lot of time in the first few weeks of ownership working on a PTE 6 project. Did not encounter any problems and it works a lot better than the Vista Ultimate 32 bit I have on my other PC.

One of the advantages of 64 bit is that it will access more than 4GB of memory but you may find that some of your older software and hardware will not run on 64 bit. There are numerous articles on the subject on the web if you put into a search engine something like "Comparison Windows 7 64 bit 32 bit"

Hope this helps

Tony

As an add-on to Tony's comment, I suggest that you consider experimenting with your old hardware and software even if you are being told that it is not compatible with 64-bit systems. I switched from 32 to 64 about one year ago (I'm running Vista.) I checked out which pieces of my existing software and hardware I would no longer be able to use because the manufacturer indicated that it was not 64-bit compatible. Then, I read in a tech forum that some of these incompatible indications are not true. It was suggested that one try the hardware and software to see what happens, as damage was unlikely to result. I did that and was happily surprised! Much of my old stuff works just fine. On connecting supposedly incompatible peripheral hardware to my 64-bit PC, for instance, I found that it would automatically search the internet for the appropriate driver and install it. (On one occasion I had to seek out the driver myself.)

Just a thought. Possibly some of the more tech-savvy forum members can provide additional advice.

Don