WnSoft Forums

Supercompression soundfiles

OGL

Hello!

I upload my short tutorial show "Supercompression sounfiles" on beechbrook.com

This show is for Audacity users, but method is universal (for Nero WaveEditor, CoolEdit, SoundForge, etc).

Example soundfiles you can download THERE

10_1 48kbps, without processing;

10_2 48kbps, dynamic compression only;

10_3 48kbps, full processing;

Carol and Bill [think(box)], thank you for your help!

Regards,

Oleg :blink:

Hi, Oleg,

Thanks for the short tutorial on sound processing. I used these methods very extensively in my own tutorial. It's amazing how you can clean up a piece of music! I am using Adjustor right now to clean up some old taped choir music - it's one thing to equalize an instrumental piece and quite a different matter to deal with babies crying and people coughing in the background!! :angry: However, it's amazing what you can do even with this kind of background noise.

One thing I was wondering about - what is the purpose of the compression after the frequency equalization? And then the need to equalize again?

In Audition, one extra step I always take is to run the music/narration through "noise elimination" filters. I found that you have to be careful with this step as, particularly with voice, it tends to make it sound like it is coming out of the end of a hollow pipe.

I also played the sound clips you included on your web site. The differences are subtle, but the clips are definitely different. I find modification of "tone" a very personal thing. I usually tone down the higher frequencies and boost the bass (guess that's why I don't sing tenor! :) ). In my tutorial I found I had to reduce the higher frequencies to get rid of some scratchy quality in my voice, and also reduce the bass as my voice was already low enough. As you say in your tutorial, you have to experiment!

Thanks again for sharing your methodology. :)

Edit: Two other questions - what was the source of your sound sample (CD, tape, live, etc.) and how was it imported into the pc (ripped directly from CD, input from hi-fi unit through sound card, etc.)?

Hello, Al!

Thank you for your feedback.

Edit: Two other questions - what was the source of your sound sample

Source of this music is CD. Wave 44.1kHz 16bit PCM. Music: Poly Rock; Artist: B.Bumble and

The Stingers; 1998; 02min09sec. But I use others sources too. (Mic, Linear input, etc)

and how was it imported into the pc

In my PC insert 2 soundcard: Avance97 (onboard) and CB Live!5

For music I use CB Live!5. For import from my DVD ROM I use digital bus only.

It's amazing how you can clean up a piece of music!

Dear Al, I'm technical director of broadcasting radiostation. I'm obliged to know technology of the processing the sound... :rolleyes:

However, it's amazing what you can do even with this kind of background noise.

Hi-hi-hi! It's good problem!

If short:

1. Polychannel processing: frequency separation.(I use 5-12 channels for it)

2. Amplitude processing in every channel . For example:

compressing - gate - expanding and fine filtering (notch and other filters).

3. Mixing with frequence correction.

4. Final dynamic processing.

One thing I was wondering about - what is the purpose of the compression

after the frequency equalization? And then the need to equalize again?

Much difficult problem for my bad English!

1. Without dynamic processing supercompressing sound is "dead", or how

you write "out of the end of a hollow piple".

2. Precorrection.

-a. Points 4-5 on curve. This is physics. Reduction of a combination

hindrance from a sampling frequency and high frequences of sound

-b. points 2-4 on curve. This is physiology of ear.

3. Postcorrection.

-a. Points 5-6. Reduction sampling noise.

-b. Points 2-4. This is good for this music only. :P

In my tutorial I found I had to reduce the higher frequencies to get ridof some scratchy quality in my voice, and also reduce the bass as myvoice was already low enough.

You are absolute right!!!

Dear Al, if my English explanation is impossible to understand or is illiteracy,I can repeat this in Russan very detailed.

Language barrier, BLIN!!! (Ladyes can use this new Russian slight oath

everywhere, exept theatre) ;):rolleyes:

Thank you again!

Regards,

Oleg :blink:

Thank-you, Oleg, for such a detailed explanation. Your English is very good - I understood everything. I guess I should read my user manual more thoroughly and find out more about dynamic compression as I suspect it's a topic you can't explain in just a few lines here on the Forum. Thanks again for giving us a better feel for it, though. :)

Don't bother with the details in Russian, though. You saw the way I translated your other all-Russian note a few days ago! :o:) Your English is much better than my Russian! And I studied Russian in University and also grew up with many Russian-speaking kids in school. The problem is, that was far too many years ago! :)

• 2 weeks later...
?Þ›Þ”Õ¦, ?Û•Ó¦#33;

?ÝžÒžÙ Øâ• Õ¡ÝžÙ ?Þ¢Þ™ ║念33;

’ޠ畡ژ堒כբޒ!

Hi, Olga,

Are you and Oleg using a different coding in your Russian messages now? Some of the characters almost look like Mandarin, and I can no longer decode them in Socrat!? :unsure: