WnSoft Forums

Emailing an exe file

lyndongrove

My apologies if i am sending this in the wrong forum.

When I send a PTE exe file as an attachment in Outlook Express the recipient gets the message "Outlook Express did not allow us to open this type of file. It said it might be harmful for our computer".

To guard against viruses ISPs do warn not to open emails containing exe file attachments but how then does one send a genuine PTE exe file?

My recipient has tried disabling his virus software and downgrading his security settings to the lowest but he still gets the same message.

Members must have encountered this issue and i would be most grateful for the solution.

Gordon Cochrane

Cardiff

UK

ISP's normally prevent an exe file from being opened without this warning.

My guess is that you have not 'Zipped' the file before adding it as an attachment.

Another point, your slide show will probably be to large to be sent via email and you will have to use a service such as 'Mediafire' to send it.

Mediafire will then supply you with a link that you can send by email to your friends and family etc. This service is Free!

Ron

Gordon,

Mailing EXE files can be tricky these days. Most of all its not a wise idea to send just an EXE because not only may your own ISP block it, it also may be blocked at the receipients ISP end.

The best way to send a EXE file is to ZIP into a compressed package or archive. Windows has its own compress zip tool or you can use other 3rd party zip tools.

*Please be aware ... even though you may ZIP the EXE, some ISP severs will still remove or reject the content because some providers wont accept EXE in any package or form. GMail is one such provider that totally rejects EXE in any form. So make sure your not trying to send it out to any GMail addresses. Im sure theres also other providers that totally reject.

* ISP/mail providers also have file size limitations ... check your sizes and your receiver sizes, as they could be different.

* Outlook Express also has it own settings ( not related to virus program settings) that relate to security/file restictions. Check your mail settings.

Your email program is attempting to protect you from viruses and will not let you open certain types of attachments. I use Windows Mail (Vista)but Outlook Express has a similar option to allow opening these files. In "Tools" "Options" "Security" uncheck the item "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus". Of course you should have an updated antivirus program running.

Ken