WnSoft Forums

True RANDOM slide shows

blurij

HI

First day here. And I don't own a PC - just a Mac.

But I'm patiently waiting for a slideshow program from either a PC or Mac developer/programmer

that will create a slideshow with true random selection. If such a program exists in the PC

world I will partition my Mac and get Bootcamp or whatever just to run it or perhaps the

expected upcoming Mac version of Pictures2 will consider this request. WHICH IS ......

OK - I am begging* begging* I tell you for* what would seem to me* ( ok I'm not a developer by any means )

* but it seems* like a simple idea* -

*** I am begging for a photo slideshow* program that* is* truly* random .

* I can select* random in iPhoto** and yes it randomizes on the first sort, but when it loops back ( repeats )

* one gets the same* order of pictures* of the initial random sort.

** I would like for* a* slideshow program to* re-randomize* every time the program** re-loops.

** Is that really hard to do ?* Is that why I can't find the feature in any* slideshow program or

** am I among the rarity with this request* ?

** OK - while I am in* dream mode* -* it would be fantastic if I could advance the real random

* notion a notch further.*** iTunes allows one to make* Playlists.** I can list* a photo album and then

* a* video and then a photo album** another photo album* and another video* etc.****

* iTunes will then play* these** one after another.*** Ok that's good.* I'm grateful for that.

** But* wow* it would be* fabulous if* a* program* could** go through* such a* list** randomly !

** It would randomly select an album from the list to start* off with and then display the pictures

* within that album randomly, and then it would randomly pick* the next album from the playlist* and display the

* pictures from that album randomly.** And* WHEN I PLAY THAT* PLAYLIST OF ALBUMS AGAIN

* IT WOULD GIVE ME A WHOLE NEW RANDOM ASSORTMENT OF* FILES FROM THE PLAYLIST AND

** RANDOM PICTURES FROM EACH FILE OR ALBUM* - and not just a repetition of what had played before.

WHAT A CONCEPT !

* The slideshow program would* pick* one of the items* from the list randomly and then pick

* the next* item randomly** until the list was exhausted* ( and hopefully not* re-running a* program once picked ).

* Naturally once an album is randomly selected - the pictures within that album would also be presented in a

* randomized order.*

** When I select* shuffle** in the iTunes playlist*** the whole playlist freezes* after the first* album* or selection is played.

I realize it might be difficult to* select and randomize from an assortment of* photo albums and movies.

** I would be happy just for the program to be able to* randomly select** just from a group of* photo albums* listed in a playlist

** or select* randomly from a* group of just movies or slideshows in a playlist.**

** I have a apple cinema monitor set up* to* view* photos and it plays* throughout the day,

*** but it sure is tiresome to see the same* order of photos* time after time.**

** Slideshow programs come with so many bells and whistles and those are nice

* and we appreciate all the work and creativity involved - but in the end it's all a bit

*tedious if the presentation* is always** same-same* without any* true* random spontaneity.

** I mean don't developers* get tired of* seeing the same pictures in the same order* every time ?

thank you world for hearing my lament.

blurij

* I can select* random in iPhoto** and yes it randomizes on the first sort, but when it loops back ( repeats )

* one gets the same* order of pictures* of the initial random sort.

** I would like for* a* slideshow program to* re-randomize* every time the program** re-loops.

In my experience PTE can't do that either - when the slide show is repeated it repeats the slides in the same order as the first time through.

David P

blurij,

Im sorry to say that PTE does not currently re-randomize while playing in a continuous loop. Also PTE does not act as and is not a standalone player like iTunes and other players that are user programed on the fly.

Internal lists, external lists, alblums, and video are not internally supported in PTE ... but can be run externally with user prescribed commands as long as you additionally distribute the external files. However, the external files used on another users PC will require the user to also have supported player(s) to execute and play the file. Basically PTE will launch it ... but it wont play it without support of users own external programs.

Again, sorry to disappoint you on your first day and post. However ... PTE is always expanding with new and additional features.

Additional Note:

With a little imagination ... it is possible to make 2 identical Slide Shows (using different names) to run each other using the More | Run Application command and actually achieve the re-randomize slide in a virtually seamless playback loop. I just tested it.

The Run Slideshow command which uses the same engine did not quite re-randomize ... they became tandem loops.

With a little imagination ... it is possible to make 2 identical Slide Shows (using different names) to run each other using the More | Run Application command and actually achieve the re-randomize slide in a virtually seamless playback loop. I just tested it.

Veru useful tip; thank you Nobeefstu.

David P