WnSoft Forums

VHS or AVI to DVD

DustyDesert

I finally have a DVD burner. My concern is putting AVI shows to DVD, but I also want to convert some old VHS tapes to DVD. I have a Radeon All in Wonder card installed, but have heard there is a problem converting analog video and audio to DVD because the sound doesn't match the video perfectly well. Has anyone tried VHS to DVD conversion with the programs that are suited for the AVI to DVD conversion? Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

~Cindy Singleton

Hi Cindy

If you bought your All-In-Wonder recently, it should have come with a copy of Pinnacle Studio 8. You can do the capture, editing, encoding and burning of analog video from within that program. Just make sure you've got plenty of hard drive space especially if the VHS clips are very long.....

Michael:

The quality of the DVD transfers I have done from VHS or 8mm or digital video have been as good as the input video, and once they are on DVD the usefulness of the video is greatly enhanced. Of course the results can only be as good as the source (garbage in = garbage out). :rolleyes:

The ability to add menus, chapters, titles, to edit sections, etc., is very beneficial part of the process.

The time required to encode and burn to DVD, and potential compatibility issues (DVD +/-) are the major downsides at this time, IMHO. The overall quality of the DVDs I have produced (and those I've seen others create) continue to wow myself and my friends/family.

One of the biggest pains w/VHS transfers is the lack of a timecode to identify scenes during capture, which makes the resulting video one long stream, unless your capture software can do scene recognition from content or allow you to manually break scenes during capture (Pinnacle's Studio 8, the software I use, provides both those features).

If you have the appropriate capture hardware and editing/burning software, the resulting DVD you create from your videos should be of very high quality - fairly indistinguishable from the source VHS content. If you are creating VCDs, then the quality will be yucky (a technical video eding term ;) ) and if you are creating SVCDs the quality can rival DVDs (although only allowing 1/2 hour per CD for best quality).

If you provide info on the software and process you have been following to convert your VHS tapes, maybe we can help you improve your results.

Dana