WnSoft Forums

Mouse rollover buttons

Ronniebootwest

I have been playing with the software called 'Deknop' for creating buttons. It is very good but the help files are a little difficult to understand. I am particularly interested in the 'Mouse Over' section and want to create a situation where I can have one photo as the up button and a second photo as the down button so that when I 'roll my mouse over' picture 1 it will change to picture 2. Or better still, create a button that will change to the photo when I 'roll over' with the mouse.

Does anyone have any experience of this feature, who can offer some guidance on its use please?

Ronniebootwest,

Since PTE only has object actions capable from the mouse Click ... creating a mouse rollover effect would not be possible. Even PTEs own object buttons do not display a rollover effect.

A possible Click effect using your own button images :

- This would require 3 Slides.

- 1st Slide has normal Up Position of your Button Image (program click action to slide 2)

- 2nd Slide has Down Position of your Button Image (time Slide to advance after a few millseconds to Slide 3)

- 3rd Slide shows your Photo Image you want your viewer to actually see.

I have not really tried this senario ... but it seems possible to accomplish. This is a pretty basic start ... as Im sure one can get more involved.

Thankyou Nobee for your tip, I will try to do it that way.

It is not absoltely essential that I use mouseovers within PTE at the moment. I would simply like to be able to do it on the computer monitoe to start with. There must be some software out there that will do this kind of thing because I have seen it done in some tutorials supplied by people.

Ronniebootwest,

The only easy way I know of to simulate a Clicking Button (only using PTE itself) is to overlay a transparent Button on top of your Button Image object.

As for a actual Rollover effect ... I still find this impossible to achieve in PTE since PTE has no Rollover actions you can perform on its objects. The only thing that comes close is using PTEs own HyperLink Text object .... which has a mouse/rollover effect for color changes.(However still you can not perform any Rollover actions ... only Click actions.)

... I have seen it done in some tutorials supplied by people.

I too would be quite interested in reading this tutorial ... if the actions are actually performed within PTEs own capabilities. It would be some trick.

To get the Rollover effects and actions they must have used some other menu system/ program to launch their PTE Shows (such as MMB or FLASH).

You can also create a HTML page of your own Buttons to launch your PTE Shows ... but this opens your Browser window which is not very appealing.

I have learned from Barry Beckham, that rollovers can be created by using 'Imageready' (within Photoshop) I have looked at that program and find it so difficult to understand. Has anybody made a simple tutorial of how to make a rollover. It does not have to be within PTE for the moment because I just want to get to grips with rollovers in general. It seems to me that they can only be used as a web page and I know nothing of Java or html codes. If you have seen any of Barry Beckham's tutorials, you will know that rollovers can be used to good effect but need not necessarilly be on a web page.

Ronnie,

I have used Photoshop / Image Ready to create some interactive pages on my web site. It does take some steep learning, though, but once you have done it once successfully, it's really not all that difficult. However, Image Ready is intended mainly for web pages - it adds javascript commands and functions to accomplish the animations. The output is an HTML page, which of course you could put on a CD or use as a file in your pc. It's not compatible with PTE.

HERE is a link to a short tutorial on creating a button with a rollover effect. There's an example at the bottom of the page.