WnSoft Forums

Push & Slide Transitions

HaroldB

Igor,

My compliments on your new transitions!

Unfortunately, I've tried the push and slide transitions on two machines, and I find them much too jerky for use with images, even at very slow transition speeds. OTOH, what you've done is very encouraging -- I think that a bit more work on your algorithms might result in transitions as good as the wonderful fades that we can routinely get from PTE.

A more conceptual problem is that, as other people have posted, the transitions effectively do not "work" for text (or a second photo) that is superimposed on a photo.

PTE today seems to contain logic to determine which parts of the two images involved in a transition are the same -- when doing a transition like page-left-to-right, no smoothing line appears during the transition on the parts of the image that are the same. We use this PTE characteristic all the time to create effects such as text being "written" on an image by specifying a page left-to-right transition for an image with the text superimposed on the original image.

What I'd like to suggest is a variation of the push and slide transition that does this "difference analysis" and only slides or pushes the part of the image that is different than the prior image. For example, if an image transitioned to an identical image with text superimposed on the first image, PTE would figure this out the same way it does today, and only slide the part of the image (ie, the text) that is different. That would enable us to use this transition for all kinds of fantastic effects.

Of course, assuming that my thought about "detecting differences" makes any sense whatsoever, I realize that doing this together with making the transitions acceptably smooth might be a lot of work, so maybe you would want to deal with making them acceptably smooth first. I just wanted to suggest this approach as a possible significant enhancement to the wonderful work you've already done.

Harold

I appreciate Igor's efforts in giving us the new transitions. The techniques used to effect the push/slide transitions, once they are smoothed out, hopefully will lead in future to the ability to pan across an image.

I would like to add to Harold's excellent comments by making the following additional observations:

1. With the push transitions, the comments also move when sliding from one slide to another. It would seem to me to be more appropriate to have them simply fade from one to another as they do now in other transitions. This is probably tied in closely with the problem several others have pointed out with the patterned backgrounds moving.

2. In the new beta, the navigation bar is not visible when previewing the show. However it does show up when you click on a slide in the preview window in order to view it in full-size mode.

Igor,

I had another thought when I thought of this some more.

As an alternative to my first idea in this thread, is it possible that when doing the push or slide transtions, you can honor GIF transparency when the image being transitioned to is a GIF with transparency set? That way, I can push or slide only the elements I want to push or slide.

I realize that this may cause some problems if the preview is started from such an image or if somebody executes a GOTO such a GIF image. I think it would be perfectly acceptable to treat the image non-transparently in those cases.

BTW, while we're on the topic: is there any reason that support of GIF transparency in the current object eitor does not use the standard GIF transparency definition to define transparency but instead uses the pixel in row 1 column 1 as the transparent color?

Harold

2. In the new beta, the navigation bar is not visible when previewing the show. However it does show up when you click on a slide in the preview window in order to view it in full-size mode.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

What ?????????

And, Permit the control with a synchronised slide show....

And, Always show mouse cursor...

Try these options. :rolleyes:

Al,

Michel is quite correct ...you need to apply Permit Control when using Sync. Remember we have all these new checks to enable for variations. :P

Speaking of variations of PUSH Effect :

That would enable us to use this transition for all kinds of fantastic effects.

I agree Harold. This is more or less the first Transistion Effect Igor has introduced that has many Special Effects possible other than just being a traditional transistion. Other traditional PTE transistions have not required such additional actions to be performed. PUSH is really new territory in the scheme of existing traditional transistions.

These new type Special Effects Transistions need to be applied and controlled quite differently than the Traditional Transistions by requiring other User enabling menu features.

This will also hold true if Igor implements some (future) ZOOM, PANO and others that require Special Effects combined with the Transistion Effect.

Michel is quite  correct ...you need to  apply Permit Control when using Sync. Remember we  have all  these  new  checks to enable for variations.  :P

Stu and Michel,

I'm not talking about "Sync" mode. ;)

This occurs for me in non-sync mode as well.

And, we shouldn't have to click "show mouse cursor" if the nav bar is on - the program should be primed to automatically show the cursor (overriding any other settings) if the nav bar is requested.

Stu,

My show was set at non-sync, but I had the "hide mouse cursor" option checked, so of course the nav bar didn't show up. As I had never tried this combination before, I thought that it was peculiar to the new transitions, but apparently not so.

I still think some options in PTE should be defaulted when certain other options (such as nav bar) are chosen.

Michel: I'm really, really, really sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

using the sync format with nav bar showing, full contol and never hide mouse settings;

I have been testing the "push" and "slide" transitions --default "slide" was ok but "push" had to be set at 4000 from the default 1500 to get rid of jerkiness -- the slight jerk with "slide" setting smooths out when converted

I also set images to full screen to try a panorama effect -- the picts were not ones that were "lined up" but were of the same area -- snow in Newfoundland -- am sure the other Canadian members have seen them.[picts have been pulled from web site - have asked webmaster if they are gone]

when i put the exe's thru TMPGEnc and converted to svcd file's they worked perfect on the 29" tv.

ken