WnSoft Forums

Click-to-Advance and Timed Advance in One Show?

lenbartz

I'm using PtE to create a training show. I need to let the viewer advance through the show at their own pace for part of it, but during other sections, I need to have the show advance through a few slides automatically, then revert back to click advance.

That's GOT to be possible, but I can't seem to figure out how. Would somebody walk me through it step by step.

Use small words. :D

I would suggest you start by searching this forum for topics such as "run application after last slide" and "add buttons" ect. i guess what you want is a combination of a manual driven show with automatic sections starting at agiven point. I'm sure what you want is possible but you may have to do a bit of trial and error to get to work. Keep us posted, and the best of luck,

Alan

Welcome Lenbartz!

Luckily, your problem seems very simple to solve. In "Project Options" > "Main" set the desired duration ("Display each slide for:"). To avoid the presentation "exits", in "Advanced" tab set "Next slide" (or if you like better, "Prev. slide") also for "Action for left mouse click".

So your slides will change automatically at set time, but you'll be able to change slide also by clicking the mouse button, (or pressing the space bar, or the right arrow on the keyboard - the left one to go back).

All my best wishes for a gook work!

Oops! Forgive me Alan, I had not yet seen your post when I was writing...

Of course your answer is more correct, but perhaps mine too can be useful to Lenbartz.

Hi Lenbartz

As Guido said it is very simple. The one point that he missed is that when the duration of slide is set to zero then that slide is manually advanced via the spacebar. You can set the duration to zero (or un-select the "display each slide for:" option) for all slides in the "Project options" and use "customize slide" to set a time for the automatic slides.

The other option that Guido suggested are very useful to controll the show from the mouse as well as the spacebar and arrow buttons.

Alan's suggestions give you a lot more scope to controll the show and add extra features which may be very useful when you wish to extend the training show.

Good luck

Thank you all, I'll fiddle around with those suggestions. Along those same lines...is there a way to add an audio file that will span across 3-4 slides?

What I'm doing is creating a show that explains how to use a new piece of software. I have a narration files, stored as .wav files. Each slide has it's own narration file, and after the narration ends, the user has time to mull over what's been said and advance to the next slide whenever they are ready.

There are time however, when I want to show what the software is going to do, with no user intervention, similar to animation. I'd like to have the narration run as a voice over as the slides change, one after another. I could continue to make individual .wav files for each slide, but when it plays back, I'm afraid it's going to seem choppy. I'd rather have the voice over be seemless. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Len Bartz

Ok....Ok...I think I get it...maybe.

Use the customized settings for those few slides, and check "Continue using current sound file".

That makes sense.

Funny how you can spend an hour trying to figure something out...then figure it out yourself two minutes after posting a question on a forum.

Len,

You wrote:

check "Continue using current sound file".

This is a feature some of us have requested from Igor, but so far it has not been provided. Unless he has added it to version 4.20 without informing us???? Where do you see that option in the program?

Alan,

Do you mean the "Customize Slide / Music" tab? There I see only "Use customized settings" , "Play new background music file" and options for choosing the music file. Maybe you have to set some other music option first to see it?

Al and Alan, option "Continue using current sound file" was present in "Customize slide" > "Music" tab till v4.01, and disappeared since 4.10 because it made no more sense. Alan seems to have still installed an old version of PTE... :huh::)

Thanks, Guido. I thought maybe I was starting to halucinate. Actually, I thought Alan was halucinating! :)

So, Len, the answer to your question is no, there is no way yet to spread the narration over more than one slide other than by combining it with the background in an audio editor, and synching the show to both. This is somewhat more tedious than being able to overlay the narration through the use of the "Sound" line on the main page.

Sorry troops, :blink:

I don't use this option but remembered it as Gudo says from an eirlier version and just assumed it was still there. I still think the best way is to use a continous sound file for the auto section as this reduces the amount of time spent loading files.

Regards,

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Just before you give in, what about using buttons? compile each section seperatly, with each section having a button on the last slide "Proceed" This would be set to "run application(part 2) ect. When clicked it will start the next section of the demonstration. For the manual sections you could assign sound bites to each slide. This needs care as the prosessor will get busy, but if it is a manual change, the user will wait for the sound to play. As the auto section is a seperate show, then it can be assigned a single sound file for the "Project".

Alan