WnSoft Forums

Sound dropping out ... WHY?

Ive been using Pix2Exe for years and just in the last two days we have been having problems with our music that we attach to our presentations.

The music is the same that we have always used and it plays fine in the various media players. The only time we have gaps or breaks in the sound is when we add it to a Pix2Exe presentation. The breaks don't accur in hte same spot on different presentations either.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled a fresh download and even that doesn't help.

Any ideas what's happpening?

TIA

Dave

Hi Dave,

Just Guessing but, it sounds like a processer problem. What size is the file and what format. It may play ok in other media players but, remember, P2E is running pictures as well, so this puts a strain on the processor. Try MP3 as opposed to Wav and see what happens. One other thing, are you running the show from the CD Rom drive?

Alan

Alan,

Thanks for the tips, but I'm mp3 files and i'm playing it drectly on the computer which has a 2ghz processor and 1.5 gigs of 2700 DDR Ram. Also, there are no other programs running.

The only thing that I can think of that has changed is that I downloaded iTunes. Could this be part of the problem?

Thanks again for the ideas though.

Dave

Just a thought...

Does the sound hiccup when you do a preview, or only when you generate the exe and play the exe? This might be a distinguishing feature. I'm no expert, but that might give someone else a hint. ;)

Also, have you read the threads about transitions happening right where the music changes and making all the different pieces one big mp3?

Just grabbing at straws...

(Sound Drop-Out)

Hi Guys,

Yes, I have had this problem and it drove me mad and it happened on various Computers-

I found the problem and a solution that works for us - you might like to try this:-

a) Lets say you start composing a Show in the morning and you use "Save As" which is the

usual method of saving changes.

B) Come the afternoon and you are ½ way thro' the Compilation and decide for a "Preview"

you might notice 'sound drop-out' or at times doubling of some 'music notes' and

we found why this is !

c) When you use "Save As' you are physically over-writing a File - now if the Processor/Buss

speed changes ever so slightly it wont "over-write the file in perfect synchronisation"

If its too slow you get 'double notes' and if too fast it 'over-over writes' - thus dropouts.

It affects Mp3 in particular because of the 'frame compression techniques' deployed.

d) Our solution was to close down the Computer and evoke a 'fresh cold start'- problem is gone.

e) Also, we now "Close down and Restart" before we make an EXE which we run 'once'

before we burn a CD.

For some reasons the Close/Start corrects the frame errors in Mp3 Files.

No idea why ? - it just works.

Brian Kelly.Conflow

Brian

Why do you use "Save as" and not "Save"? When you "Exit" after working on a project you are prompted "Project has changed. Do you want to save it". You are not asked if you want to "Save as". Might this be the solution?.

Ron [uK]