WnSoft Forums

Disabling arrows

Monty

Hi, Michel!

Thanks. I looked at those options (and maybe I'm missing something/having a mental disconnect). What I'm trying to do is make it so that the keyboard arrows don't make the slideshow navigate and also make it so that hitting the escape button doesn't close the show. Plus, I don't want a navigation bar, per se.

The reason I want it that way is because I'm making a kind of roster where to navigate, the user has to click on the button with an individual's name on it. There are a couple of other options, such as clicking on a thumbnail of the person's photo to go to a full size image. The final show is for an interactive family roster for my parents as a surprise.

I actually have most of the stuff laid out; I'm just waiting on digital photos from siblings, and obviously this navigation issue. Having the keyboard arrows working will ruin the effect I'm going for. I already figured out how to keep the show from progressing to the next slide ("Project Options" -> "Main" -> make sure both "Display slides in random order" & "Display each slide for:" are deselected).

Gee, I hope this was clear!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Techman1

Monty,

Hello! What Michel said was correct but may have confused you a little. In the "Project Options", "Advanced" section turn off the "Show Navigation Bar" button. This will make it where your presentation doesn't show the navigation buttons at all.

Regarding the ESC key, I don't believe there is a way to disable it in this program. Maybe someone else can chime in on this if I am incorrect. You can always put an "Exit" button on the main screen if you wish that way they know to click on that to exit only. You can also have a "Return to Main Menu" button on each individuals selection area and have them click there to return to your main menu. That way they always know that there is a Exit there.

I hope this helps a little. This sounds like a nice project for your parents and a new way to use Pictures-to-Exe.

Good luck!

Fred

Hi, Fred!

Oh, I wasn't confused; however, I think maybe my wording confused others.

At the outset, I set up the slideshow so that the standard navigation bar is not displayed. Also, I set it up so that each page has a wide button ont he bottom to return to the main page; the main page has an exit button in the same place.

I agree, of course, that this is a nice way to use P2E. My sister looked at what I have already for it and she's very excited about it. Plus, I described it to a friend who majored in Computer Science; her comment was, "Wow. That's really cool." My friend is also anxious to see the final product as she wants to do something like it now for her family--she also uses P2E. Come to think of it, I think P2E is the perfect program for this particular project: I don't have to worry about whether my relatives have the proper programs on their computers to run this.

The reason I'm so hungup on this navigation issue is that some of the people who'll be using it are very much computer novices and I want the resulting program to essentially make them follow the way I designed it. Each relative's name will be on a hot button with that relative's name, clicking on the button will take the user to that person's info page. I guess you could call it "relative navigation" (my apologies for the awful pun there).

Here are the features:

• Main page has my parents' names at the top and their children's names underneath (my parents are the oldest generation in this roster).
  • Each name is on a clickable button; clicking on that button takes the user to that person's information page.
  • Two thumbnail photos appear on the information page: one of the relative concerned and one of that person's whole immediate family (parents and their children).
  • Clicking on the individual's thumbnail takes one back to the individual's information page; the family thumbnail has buttons to click for each person in the family photo. (I'm experimenting with "invisible" buttons to go over each person's face in the family photo so it looks like the user's actually clicking on the face in the photo & not a button.)
  • The individual information pages include the relative's name, address, a section naming all of their children, grandchildren, greatgrandchildren, parents, grandparents, and greatgrandparents; all of these names are on link buttons which will take the user to that person's information page. Also, there's an e-mail button for the individual.

I welcome any brainstorming. After all, that's why I read this message board. Hey, I'm having a lot of fun playing around with it right now while I'm waiting on the photos from my siblings!