WnSoft Forums

Farewell Alaska

JSlugman

Hi, James,

I just watched your new Alaska slideshows - they are a lot of fun! The shots of Denali reminded me of the one day we were there in 2000 - all socked-in with rain! All the best in the Azores! (you know, I don't even know where that is! :unsure: )

Hi Al,

I didn't know where it was either. It's about 900 miles off the coast of Portugal or about 2,200 miles east of New York city.

We found the best time to see Denali is between September and April, when it is COLD! :D

I do so enjoy having my computer back! I've just posted a show of the fireworks over Praia Bay from last night here in the Azores. The end of the week-long Praiafest was last night and they celebrated with a fireworks show launched from a ship and barge in the bay. I was able to find a spot (along with 1/2 of the island's population) overlooking the bay beneath a large statue of the Virgin Mary with a lovely 20 knot wind.

I fear I'm beginning to enjoy the whole digital thing. :rolleyes:

http://orearviewoftheworld.homestead.com/p2e.html

James,

Just took a look at all 4 Alaska shows. WOW! Never having been, I can only imagine how much cooler it is in person!

I was taken with the Perfect Storm. What kind of storm was this?

The Eagles were impressive too.

Thanks for sharing.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of profession takes you from Alaska to the Azores? ;)

Guess I'd better go watch the fireworks! :P

David,

Glad you enjoyed the shows (they're almost as much fun to make as they are to gather photos for...almost). The storm photos are of last fall's huge solar flare event that caused widespread northern lights displays. We get the aurora frequently in Alaska, but not often of that magnitude.

I'm fortunate to be married to an Air Force member who drags my big butt all over the globe. But after 14 years we're getting close to settling down and you bet your bottom dollar we'll do it in Alaska!

David,

It is the Empire Brass doing Farandoles (SP?) Bizet I think, but the CD case is in a crate somewhere on a boat or I'd give you the title. :blink:

I already have next year's spot picked out to get a bit more of the city in (that or I finally pop for a 14mm lens). Guess which one I'm hoping for...