WnSoft Forums

Image processing software.... again...

anthrodoc

People might already be aware of the software I am about to mention, but then again... who knows? A long time ago when I started a web photo archive for a local historical society, I installed a nice perl-based setup to search the archive. Part of the setup included the minor installation of part of ImageMagick--- the part that would make thumbnails of pictures. Recenlty I had to reinstall the database, and so had to also reinstall Imagemagick.... (about which I had pretty much forgotten). It has only gotten better over the years!

Imagemagick is worth looking into for various types of image processing. It is a little on the "techie" side (it has command-line processing for some things, etc.) but it is pretty versatile. I would love to hear others' thoughts on this-- especially if you have experience with it, and have formed your own opinions already.

It can be found at http://ImageMagick.sourceforge.net

and is opensource, and free (makes it all that much nicer!)

It runs behind the scenes at:

http://anthro.qvcc.commnet.edu/psearch.html

and where it is used there is when someone searches the database for a picture. When results are found and returned, if there is no thumbnail for the picture yet on the server, the ImageMagick module on the server processes the picture found, and creates a thumbnail in a separate folder. Next time someone searches for the picture -- results are returned with the appropriate thumbnail image.

I can only imagine (am am looking forward to exploring) how this and other parts of the program might be useful in relation to PTE.

Brian