WnSoft Forums

OT - autorun from pen drive?

Ian

I'm trying (unsuccesfully) to get a PTE menu to autorun from a pen drive. For a CD, I can happily write an autorun.inf file to fire up the menu, but this doesn't seem to work on a USB pen drive. I've tried several types of autorun commands in the root of the pen drive, but nothing works. It might be that what I'm trying to do is impossible, but I'm hoping that one of the PC techies might have a solution - how about it, Al?!

Fingers crossed......

Ian

Guest Techman1

Ian,

Based on a quick search, several sites indicate that by default Windows doesn't autorun from a removable disk drive. Although, I would think that there is some system setting to allow this. I'll try to look on one of my other systems and see.

In the mean time, you might want to look at this. I found this shareware program that apparently will allow you to do exactly what you are attempting. You might want to give it a try. Here is the link to their site:

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/rhaminisys/autoreg.html

Let us know how it turns out.

Fred

If you have Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) you can configure your autorun.inf to run from PenDrive.

[autorun]

OPEN=YourShow.exe

ICON=YourShow,0

action=YourShow.exe

and your show will appear on top (and be selected) of the window which opens when you insert the PenDrive. If you check the "Alwayes do the selested action" then your show will autorun from PenDrive (at least that what is supposed to be, but the last part did not worked for me, that is, to run the show, and I have to click "OK" to run it).

Thanks Fred & Granot

The autoreg idea probably won't be workable as the pen drives will be given to customers, and hence the shareware wouldn't be installed on their machines.

Granot's solution works fine - the menu doesn't quite autorun, but the user is given a strong prompt to run the highlighted file. Using an icon helps too, as this is displayed in the autoplay dialogue box and again gives a strong prompt for the user to run the menu.

Diolch yn fawr i chi!

Ian

• 2 weeks later...