WnSoft Forums

Strange mp3 problem

ecps

Help - it is hair tearing out time!!!

I have a wav that I want to use as background to a pte presentation (slides synchronized to the music). As the wav is not long enough I have tinkered with it in Adobe Audition by copying part of the music and then pasting it with the effect that the section is repeated. This has extended the length of the music from 3 minutes 1 second to 3 minutes 47 seconds. I then saved the extended track as an mp3 into a folder with a new name. Both Media Player and Adobe Audition now recognize that the track is 3 minute 47 seconds long.

When I use the track within PTE, however, it still plays the orginal track (3 minues 1 second long). I cannot get PTE to play the amended version.

What I have tried so far:

a) Making absolutely certain that I am linking to the correct file.

B) Renaming my amended file to something totally different and putting it in a different location - PTE still shows it as 3.01.

c) Removing the file altogether and saving my pte file. When I insert it again it is still the shorter version.

d) Re-booting my computer.

e) Saving the mp3 as a wav. This is playable in Media Player but pte will not play it at all and shows its length as 0:00.

f) I have also run a virus check but everything is OK

I can only think that there is something embedded within the original file which pte is reading.

If anyone can shed any light upon this strange behaviour I will be very grateful.

Eddie.

Eddie,

If you merely do a "save" or "save as", you will only be saving one of the original files - in this case the 3:01-min file.

You have to use the "mix-down" function on your multitrack view to save the entire length of new music.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks Al - but I seem to have solved my own problem, even without quite knowing why.

I saved the wav file that I had created (the one not recognised by pte) as an mp3 and this is now working as the extended version. I know that music is supposed to degrade in quality if mp3s are resaved - but I can't tell the difference.

I suspect that it might have something to do with mp3Pro. When I saved the first extended version I used mp3pro but I avoided this on the successful version. Perhaps that had something to do with it. Anyway, it works OK now. Thanks for your help.

Eddie

Eddie and Al

I use Audition and in the past have selected and copied a portion in the track, then pasted that portion into the track to lengthen it. I have saved it without any problems and it has upgraded its length in PTE. I only use Mixdown when I use Multitrack.

To make sure that I am right I have just copied and saved a piece of music. Created a simple sequence in PTE. Added the music. Used Custom Synchronisation so that I use the full length of the music. Went back into Audition and opened the music track. Selected a section of about 20 seconds, copied it and pasted it at a suitable point in the track. This lengthened the track by 20 seconds. I saved it and went back into PTE where under Project Options>Music>Show Music Duration the increased length of music was shown. I unchecked "Synchronize slideshow to music duration" and rechecked it. Opened "Customize synchronization" and selected Timed points>Add arranged points. You are then told that "all existing transition points will be deleted before adding new arranged points". Clicked OK and you see all the spacings between the transition points change accordingly.

Whilst this exercise has proved that a track in Audition can be changed in the method I described and recognised in PTE it will apply equally if Custom Synchronisation is not used.

I will now wipe off what I have done from my harddrive.

I also use Audition to upgrade my music files when I am in PTE if I want to add some silence at the beginning or end, or if I want to adjust the amplitude.

Good luck

Ron [uK]

Ron,

You're right, you can combine the pieces together in the editor part of Audition and all will be fine.

I thought that perhaps Eddie's problem was due to his not combining the two pieces in the multitrack list and then saving just one of the files.

Eddie, glad you solved the problem OK. :)