WnSoft Forums

Screen flicker

Bethalan

I am having a problem with screen shimmer between fades on shows that have been created some time ago and worked alright in the past.

I am now trying to do a panorama using the ' push ' transition. No matter what length of time I give this - I have tried from 6 up to 30 seconds - the image appears to be scrolling from the top or moving in juddering steps even though I have selected right to left ( the image is actually moving from right to left albeit as described ) . I ran a show that I have created previously using this transition which worked perfectly well. I now find that this also appears to be scrolling and juddering.

I am using Windows XP home edition and PTE 4.30

I would appreciate some help with this

Thanks

Beth

Beth,

It could be that you have something else running in the background hogging all the processor time (e.g. virus-scanning, email, web browser, etc). Or else maybe you don't have sufficient RAM to handle windows as well as PTE. Or maybe you are running from your CD drive?? Or else, I don't know what else it could be. Did you try to run the created show on a different computer?

Guest Techman1

Beth,

In addition to what Al suggested, is the resolution of the file(s) that you are displaying too large? This could be the case and would do something similar to what you are describing on some PC's.

Give us a little more information and maybe someone can offer some other suggestions.

Good luck!

Fred

Thank you Al & Fred.

I do have a Norton virus checker running in the background and also various other security systems such as Xoftspy, Error nuker and Free surfer. I am now on broadband - do these run in the background ?

I am not running it from a CD

I have 224 RAM which has always been enough in the past

The file sizes are around 256 kb and there are 6 of them so it's not a big project.

I have a laptop and I will try to make it on that and report back

Thanks

Beth

Hi Beth,

I'm very surprised you did not contact me about that 'Flicker' problem as it was very evident in

the 'CD-Presentation' you sent me - and the fact that we had just cleaned up the PC.

As regards 'XoftSpy' and 'Error-Nuker' and 'Free Surfer' (and to all who use these facilities)

THESE PROGRAMS DO NOT RUN IN THE BACKGROUND - The first 2 are manually involked

by the 'User' and 'Free-Surfer' is only active whilst the 'Browser is Active'.

However, if you have the 'Norton Main Scan Program' active during a PTE.Exe Creation or

during a 'CD-Burn' session, I have found that 'Norton' will interfer with these process's and is

more evident with smaller RAM Memory sizes.

Go to the RH.Bottom Taskbar, RH.Clk on Norton and select disable. This does not interfer with

the EMail 'Auto-Protect' part's of Norton.

Furthermore, you might try 'shutting down' other large Programs which you you (may) have on

your 'Start Menu' and only used occasionally. They can still be started from your 'Program

Folder' if and when needed.

Brian.Conflow.

Guest Techman1

Beth,

Also, you didn't mention any music files playing. If you have any inserted into your PTE slideshow, you might want to take those out and see if you are still getting the dragging presentation. This is just another idea to help narrow down what is causing this problem.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Fred

Fred,

That's a good point and a step worthwhile taking. However, I just want to add that in my experience, Igor has designed PTE so that the resources required to play the music are minute compared to those required for the transitions. :)

• 1 year later...