WnSoft Forums

Creating Icons

Severn Bore

There have been earlier threads on this subject which you may be able to locate using search.

However, I make my original creation in Photoshop usually from an image within the sequence, cropping it to 4x4 ratio. I then add lettering usually three characters otherwise they will not show. I then reduce the image to 32 x 32 pixels and save as a *.jpg file.

Next I use the IrfanView programme a freebie downloaded on the Internet. There are various sites if you search, but try www.IrfanView.com. Once you have the programme, open it and select File>Open and your saved file above. Check from Image>Resize Resample that the image is still 32x 32 pixels and from Image>Decrease color depth that it is set at 256 colors (here I have found it necessary for use in PTE to select 16 colors then back to 256 colors, don’t ask me why)

Then, still in IrfanView, File>Save as>File Type>ICO-Windows Icon, give it a file name and select where you want it saved. I have a separate folder for my icons.

Ron [uK]

Den

I have the plugin which enables me to save as a Windows Icon (*.ico) file in Photoshop 7, but I find that this is not always accepted in PTE, hence my method suggested earlier, using Irfanview which always works.

Ron [uK]